In the treatment of respiratory infections, especially with the appearance of cough, bronchitis, and the prevention of colds, warming procedures such as mustard plasters . Previously, such treatment methods were widely used among the population, but recently the attitude towards them has changed somewhat - they began to forget about such an effective and affordable remedy.
What do mustard plasters make of?
For the preparation of mustard plaster use bluish or black mustard. The seeds are degreased and then ground. There are both mustard plasters and mustard packets on sale. It is better to buy them at the pharmacy.
How to make mustard plasters at home?
If the mustard plaster is not at home, you can make them yourself. It is necessary to mix dry mustard powder with starch (flour) in a ratio of 50:50 and add a little warm water. You should get a dough-like mixture. This mixture should be applied to thick paper and covered with gauze. Let it dry a little.
Our blog In contact with ← SUBSCRIBE there are many interesting things)
How to put mustard plasters?
Mustard must be lowered for 15 seconds before use. in warm water, always in a horizontal position. Then put it on the necessary part of the body and gently press it with a towel.
The first time mustard plasters can be kept for no longer than 5 minutes. Then you can increase the duration of the application daily by 1-2 minutes, bringing the duration of the procedure to 10 minutes. It is not recommended to apply mustard plasters more than twice a day.
It is worth remembering that during pregnancy it is contraindicated to put mustard plasters.
How to put mustard plasters on children?
But young children, as well as children with sensitive skin, mustard plasters must be put on the back side either through a diaper or gauze, folded in several layers. To soften the effect of mustard plasters, you can moisten the fabric with warm vegetable oil and squeeze.
Precautions When Using Mustard Plaster
To prevent burns you need every 2-3 minutes. inspect the area of the skin on which the mustard plaster is located. The duration of the procedure should be from 5 to 10 minutes. If severe redness, burning, or pain occurs, the mustard must be removed immediately. And wash the reddened area of the skin with warm water. Then grease with boiled vegetable oil or petroleum jelly. Do not treat the affected area with alcohol or cologne.
At temperatures above 37.5 ° C, mustard must not be set.
When should you use mustard plasters?
As a rule, mustard plasters are used after hypothermia for the purpose of prevention, for colds, bronchitis, pleurisy, bronchopneumonia. Mustard plasters are also used for myositis (muscle pain) and hypertension.
The use of mustard in coughing and bronchitis
The use of mustard plasters for the treatment of cough is very effective. At the same time, they are placed on the back under the shoulder blades or between the shoulder blades, on the chest, avoiding the heart area. To treat cough in infants and toddlers, mustard wrap is used. In a mustard solution (1 tablespoon dry mustard dissolved in 0.5 l of warm water) you need to moisten a towel, squeeze and wrap the child. Cover the baby with a sheet, after 3-5 minutes. uncoil and rinse off the remaining mustard with warm water. Put on cotton pajamas and put to bed.
With bronchitis and bronchopneumonia, mustard plasters are used, as well as with ordinary cough. And with inflammation of the upper respiratory tract to the sternum and to the calf muscles.
Use of mustard plasters for a cold (rhinitis)
Apply mustard plasters to the feet, bandage with a flannel fabric, put on woolen socks and hold for at least 2 hours.Then remove the mustard plasters and walk quickly in socks in a warm room for 10-15 minutes. The procedure is best done before bedtime.
The use of mustard plasters for insomnia
If insomnia is caused by a rush of blood to the head, then it is very useful to apply mustard plasters to the calves of the legs. At the same time, it is recommended to drink cucumber pickle with honey, which also weakens well (1 tbsp.spoon of honey per 1 cup of cucumber brine).
The use of mustard in radiculitis
Pour 50 ml of water and dissolve 1/4 tablets of furacilin in it, boil well until the medicine dissolves. Then in the resulting solution add 1 tbsp. spoon of honey and mix thoroughly. Take the mustard plasters, dip them in the honey solution of furatsilina and put on the lower back. After 5-6 minutes remove the mustard plasters, and cover the remaining solution on the skin with plastic wrap, fix and wrap with a woolen scarf. In this bandage, sleep all night and take it off in the morning.
And although mustard plasters, along with other methods of traditional medicine, are less relevant than even 20 years ago, this is still a rather effective method in treatment. After all, it is not always worth stuffing a baby with medicines. And do not forget about preventative measures. After all, a disease is better to prevent than to treat it.
Our blog In contact with ← SUBSCRIBE there are many interesting things)
Friends,if you like the article thenlike, subscribe to the channel and share with friends on social networksso as not to miss the latest publications.Thanks!
* All information is fact-finding. consult a specialist before buying a drug or treatment
Why do mustard plasters
Mustard plaster - a warming, anti-inflammatory and analgesic compress.
It is shown to set when:
- myalgia and neuralgia,
- bruise or sprain
- high blood pressure
- angina pectoris (with caution),
- dry, wet cough.
What mustard mustard cough
Cough is one of the extensive testimonies of mustard plasters. With a dry cough, essential oils and blood outflow help to alleviate symptoms, relieve swelling and irritation of the mucosa. When wet - heat and increased blood circulation thin the thick mucus in the bronchi.
Mustard plasters are attributed with a diagnosis of:
- lingering cough.
With a strong persistent cough, it is recommended to use mustard plasters
Do mustard plasters help cough
This local action is used for deep heating of organs. You can use mustard for coughing if it is protracted. At the first symptoms of a cold, this remedy is not used. Mustard plasters can be used to prevent diseases during hypothermia. The tool is used to treat the following diseases:
- upper respiratory tract infections.
For many years, people have used mustard powder to treat various pathologies. This method was actively used for joint diseases, muscle strain, colds, nasal congestion, high blood pressure, headache, as well as for prevention after hypothermia.
During a cough, the use of mustard plasters has gained particular popularity. Now this tool is not in short supply. Mustard plasters are available at any pharmacy without a prescription. But you need to know if mustard plasters can be coughed in one case or another and how to put them.
Cough is a protective reaction resulting from respiratory irritation. It can be physiological (not dangerous) and pathological (caused by some disease).
In the first case, the use of mustard plasters will not only be useless, but even an unreasonable, stupid act. With a pathological cough, the use of such a folk method is permissible, but it also has its own characteristics, warnings and limitations.
What are useful
The essential oils that make up mustard irritate the receptors of the skin, respiratory system and dilate blood vessels. They have a beneficial effect during a runny nose, relieving nasal congestion. The irritating effect of mustard is due to the glucosides contained in it. These substances penetrate the skin well, accelerate the metabolism. For this reason, funds with mustard powder are used not only for the treatment of cough, but also for hypertensive crisis, myositis, neuralgia, radiculitis.
What diseases do mustard plasters cause?
Mustard plasters are put on coughing of any kind: wet, dry, with abscesses or without. Most often they are prescribed for colds, such as bronchitis, pneumonia and SARS.
Before using mustard plasters for the treatment of cough, you need to know that they help best when:
- lingering cough
- ligament problems
- angina pectoris
- sleep problems
- high blood pressure
- runny nose.
Like all medical procedures, mustard plasters have their contraindications, in which their formulation is absolutely excluded and threatens with dangerous consequences.
Mustard patch is not allowed if:
- high fever, when body temperature is higher than 37.5 ℃, in the case of an unconscious state,
- an allergic reaction to mustard (this is their main component),
- malignant processes in the body of any localization,
- bronchial asthma, obstructive bronchitis,
- active tuberculosis process, hemoptysis, history of pulmonary hemorrhage, chronic, acute leukemia,
- skin damaged or affected by the inflammatory-purulent process.
It is also not recommended to use the medicine with intense wet cough, in young children with thin and sensitive skin, atopic dermatitis.
Indications for use
Despite the fact that mustard plasters are now considered a folk remedy, they have certain medical indications for use.
Depending on those, a specific place for setting the heating sheet is selected. Mustard plasters are recommended for the following pathologies:
- colds, acute respiratory viral infections, catarrhal phenomena (calves of the legs, neck, feet),
- acute tracheitis (sternum, upper part),
- pulmonary diseases (lateral ribs, sternum),
- angina attack (heart),
- increased blood pressure, crisis (soles, calves, back of the neck),
- myositis, neurological diseases (lesion area).
Bags with mustard powder can be used for cough caused by the following diseases:
Be sure to consult your doctor before using this tool. Remember that the use of mustard plasters does not exempt you from the implementation of prescribed recommendations and taking medicines.
How it works
The mechanism of work of mustard plasters is extremely simple. After they have been moistened in warm water, the release of the essential oils in their composition begins. They irritate the skin, as a result of which the blood vessels under the skin expand significantly and blood circulation becomes more intense, nourishing the diseased organ.
To improve blood circulation in a diseased organ, mustard plasters should be placed on its projection on the body. For example, with pneumonia, their area of application is the chest. In addition to blood circulation, the activity of the autonomic nervous system is stimulated. And this positively affects the protective function of the body.
When planning to use mustard plasters for coughing or another ailment, you need to remember that at an elevated body temperature this is strictly prohibited. It is not recommended to put them constantly throughout the illness. Maximum use - no more than 4 consecutive days. Uncontrolled use of mustard plasters can cause severe allergic reactions.If during such treatment the patient does not feel relief, it is better to refuse it. Perhaps the body does not accept such therapy or the disease has grown into a more serious form and mustard plasters no longer help.
Mustard with coughing is not the main tool in the fight against the disease. There are many contraindications for their use. You can not use them for coughing, which is accompanied by fever, weakness and chills. Skin diseases of varying severity, pregnancy and lactation, the presence of tumors, asthma are also contraindications for their use.
Despite the simplicity of the composition, mustard plasters have many useful properties used to treat diseases.
- have a warming effect
- relieve pneumonia,
- eliminate cough
- relieve local pain
- reduce pain with bruises and muscle strain, tearing of ligaments.
They help in the treatment of diseases of the respiratory system, laryngitis, sinusitis, radiculitis.
Feasible side effects
Too frequent use of mustard plasters, their use in the presence of contraindications can lead to the appearance of unwanted adverse reactions from the human body:
Local, less often - systemic allergy. Persistent hyperemia (redness), swelling, and itching appear at the patch site. In some cases, acute urticaria or angioedema develops (both conditions are considered urgent and require emergency assistance). Coughing occurs less frequently, lacrimation is a reaction to volatile essential oils.
Burns. If the rules of use are not observed, thermal damage to the skin appears in the form of redness or a different size of blisters with transparent contents. All this is accompanied by pain. Glycosides contained in mustard can cause a chemical burn.
Activation and progression of inflammation. In some cases, the activation of blood flow leads to increased inflammatory processes, even greater tissue edema.
Each package with mustard plasters contains instructions for use, which should be read in detail before use to avoid the side effects listed above.
The principle of action of mustard plasters
Before you put mustard plasters on coughing for adults or children, you should learn about the principles of work and the action of this tool. Today in pharmacies you can find a variety of forms of bags with warming powder. But the principle of action all converges.
After water gets on dry mustard, the release of essential oils begins. At this point, the mustard plaster is already in contact with the skin of the patient.
The bag has an irritating and warming effect on the dermis. The vessels passing under the skin begin to expand, blood circulation improves, and an organ that is affected by heat is nourished.
Mustard plasters stimulate the nervous and autonomic systems. The defenses of the body increase reflexively. When this agent is heated, an outflow of blood from distant zones occurs, which is actively used by people with stuffy nose or swelling. Bags with mustard powder give an irritating and distracting effect, which helps calm a dry cough.
To achieve the maximum effect of the treatment, mustard plasters must be correctly set.
To do this, a bowl of warm water, a towel, emollient cream and a blanket should be prepared.
If the rejection of burning is not associated with allergic reactions, then to facilitate the procedure, you can use gauze, laying it between the skin and mustard.
When the procedure is over, the patches are removed, the area of application is wiped with a towel and smeared with cream or oil. Then the patient needs to be covered with a blanket and to provide him with complete rest.
The use of mustard plasters on sensitive or damaged areas of the body is strictly prohibited.To make their effect when coughing as effective as possible, put it on the chest area, on the back in its upper part, between the shoulder blades and under them.
With a strong cough, you can organize the so-called mustard boots by putting plasters on the feet and calf muscles at the same time. Warm socks must be worn on top. Very rarely, mustard plasters are placed on the palm of your hand under the thumb. According to experts, this area is responsible for the lungs.
How does the remedy work?
For the treatment of cough and respiratory infections, warming procedures are used, including mustard plasters.
They irritate the receptors of the skin, due to which the blood vessels expand, blood flow improves, and substances that help the body resist infection are produced.
Mustard plasters also relieve pain, accelerate the process of relieving inflammation during cough, tracheitis, colds and bronchitis.
The warming property of mustard plasters positively affects the body:
- When the skin is heated, human immunity is activated.
- At the site of inflammation, blood circulation improves, which leads to a speedy recovery.
- Mustard plasters increase blood circulation and dilate blood vessels. With a blood stream, a greater amount of oxygen and the necessary components enter the sore spot, which help fight the disease. When mustard powder is mixed with warm water, essential oils are released that help the patient breathe easier.
According to doctors, mustard plasters are one of the most inexpensive and effective means in the fight against cough.
Mechanism of action
Mustard - a small paper bag with dry and fat-free mustard seeds. Some companies use mustard powder and paper containers with dense foil cells to produce the product. It is believed that such a filter bag will be better to warm tissues and organs, but there is no official confirmation of this. The pharmacological action of mustard plasters is as follows:
- Upon contact with water, mustard essential oil is released.
- The skin at the site of application is irritated, due to which blood circulation begins to intensify.
- Skin receptors are irritated, which leads to activation of the sympathetic nervous system.
- Sympatine and adrenaline begin to accumulate in the blood, which causes an increase in the protective functions of the body.
- The result of all biochemical reactions is the withdrawal of sputum, the saturation of the respiratory system with useful nutrients and oxygen.
How often can you put mustard plasters
For adults, it is advisable not to use mustard plasters more than once a day. Mustard compresses are not shown to children every day - every 48 hours. The course for adults and children is on average 4-5 days.
The doctor can adjust the duration due to individual characteristics or neglect of the disease. It is recommended to extend the course without harm to health by alternating different warming compresses: hot salt, sand or ointments. Then mustard plasters apply 10 or more days. It is recommended to alternate the places of application of mustard. For example, take turns warming the chest and back.
How to put mustard plasters when coughing
In order to properly put mustard plasters when coughing, the patient will need help. Putting mustard plasters on your back is very difficult for yourself, so ask a relative to help you.
Prepare the required amount of bags in advance. Depending on their size, it can vary from 2 to 8 pieces.
Pour heated water into a shallow cup. The temperature of the liquid should not be higher than 45 degrees, otherwise the patient risks a burn. Schedule the time for manipulation so that you don’t have to go anywhere after it.
In addition to water to soak the mustard plasters and the bags themselves, you will need a small terry towel and a blanket.After the procedure, petroleum jelly or baby cream is useful (some patients use oil or alcohol).
Mustard plasters for children
Mustard plasters are prescribed for the treatment of children suffering from respiratory diseases, for example, tracheitis, bronchitis, pneumonia, as well as with dry cough and problematic sputum discharge.
As in adult patients, the use of this drug is strictly prohibited if the child's body temperature rises. In addition, if there is a rash or irritation on the skin, the child suffers from neurodermatitis or psoriasis, as well as bronchial asthma and tumor diseases, mustard plasters cannot be given.
In the absence of contraindications, treatment with this agent can be carried out from a year old. But this must be done very carefully and only after consultation with the pediatrician.
You can not perform the procedure on the heart and spine of the child. To avoid burns, gauze is first put on the sore spot, only then mustard plasters. After completing the procedure, to soften the skin in the treatment area, you need to lubricate it with cream or lotion.
The time of the procedure depends on the age of the baby and how sensitive his skin is. However, there are general rules. In crumbs from 1 to 3 years, the procedure should not take more than 2 minutes. For children under 7 years - about 3 minutes, up to 12 years - 5 minutes. If during the procedure the child has severe reddening of the skin, it is necessary to stop treatment and remove the remains of mustard powder with a damp towel.
When using mustard plasters for coughing, you need to understand that they are not the main means of combating this disease. This is only part of the general therapy, which includes medications and symptomatic medications aimed at combating cough.
What to choose mustard plasters for adults and children
In pharmacies, mustard plasters of 2 types are sold:
- Thick paper bags with mustard powder inside. They are assembled in blocks for greater convenience,
- leaflets, which on one side are covered with dried mustard.
They are used both to treat childhood and adult diseases, but in the first case a number of precautions are followed.
You can also make mustard plasters at home by steaming mustard and applying it to one side of a thick paper. Doctors recommend using them only for the treatment of an adult.
Treatment of cough with mustard plasters
Before you start preparing the patient, you must shake the mustard plasters. Seeds should be evenly distributed over the package. Be sure to check the integrity of the package. If it is damaged, the product can not be used, because when rashing mustard seeds, the patient will get a burn. The tool is not used if the skin on the affected area is damaged. In addition to the compress, for the procedure you will need:
- a container of water heated to 40-45 ° C,
- parchment paper or gauze,
- a large towel
Before placing mustard with coughing, you should check the patient's reaction to mustard powder. If an allergy occurs, the procedure is not carried out. The place of fixation of the package with mustard is wiped dry. For adults and children with sensitive skin, the area of exposure is wrapped with napkins. After fixing the compress should monitor the patient's condition. If he complains of a burning sensation, the procedure must be stopped, and the inflamed area should be lubricated with liquid paraffin.
What is the danger of frequent use?
First of all, the skin suffers: burns and allergies occur. Redness, itching, and peeling of the skin are a temporary side effect. Save Panthenol, BoroPlus, moisturizers. But for some time, the skin remains painful and unsuitable for warming with compresses.
When a significant improvement has occurred in several sessions, you should not adhere to the course until the very end.
Mustard plasters may leave redness on the skin.
Features of the treatment of wet cough
Where to put the mustard on coughing depends on the nature of the most disturbing symptom. A wet cough is usually caused by inflammation of the lower respiratory system. It happens with bronchitis, pneumonia, tracheitis. The principle of treatment of this symptom is to dilute sputum and facilitate its release.
Mustard plasters in this case should be placed on the back, in the area of the lungs and bronchi.
Moisten the bags in water and quickly put them on the indicated areas. Cover the patient with a towel and blanket. Be in this state should be no more than 15 minutes.
After this time, carefully remove the bags and wipe the skin with a clean, damp towel.
This is necessary to remove the remains of mustard powder. Next, rub your back with cream or petroleum jelly, dress in cotton underwear and go to bed immediately. After using mustard plasters with a wet cough, it is recommended to drink a glass of warm water.
The liquid will enhance the diluting effect of folk remedies.
How to put mustard plasters
Putting a bag of dry mustard is easy. The powder containing agent must be shaken to distribute the particles inside the sheet. The mustard plaster is placed in water heated to 40 ° C for a while and pressed against the skin with a porous layer.
Recommendations on how to put mustard plasters on coughing are as follows. A package of mustard is placed on the sternum in a vertical line. Avoid heart area and do not apply mustard leaf on the spine. The mustard plaster is covered with a warm towel. The procedure should be no more than a quarter of an hour. After the end of therapy, the skin area should be wiped with a damp cloth. Therapy with mustard powder is recommended at night.
When coughing during pneumonia or bronchitis, a package of mustard is placed on the back of the body between the shoulder blades, or under the shoulder blades on both sides.
Mustard plasters are one of the ways to treat cough, both in adults and in children, and have been successfully used for a long time. Experienced mothers know where to put mustard plasters. Young children should put gauze on the surface of the skin to avoid possible burns. After the procedure, the skin is lubricated with a baby cream.
How much mustard must be kept depends on the age of the child and the sensitivity of the skin. The duration of the procedure for children 1-3 years old should not exceed 2 minutes, from 4 to 7 years - 3 minutes, from 8 to 12 years - 5 minutes. When severe redness of the skin appears, remove the bag and remove the remaining product with a damp cloth. The best treatment time is considered to be night time: during the day, the child can be active, sweat and catch a cold even more. The duration of treatment is 2 weeks, every other day.
How to put mustard plasters - instructions
To correctly put a mustard plaster, it is necessary to fulfill several conditions:
- First, mustard is dipped in heated water with a temperature of about 35-40 degrees. At a water temperature of more than 40 degrees, mustard plasters lose their properties.
- Then the moist mustard leaf is pressed with the smeared side to the patient's body. If the skin is very sensitive, then under the mustard you can put porous paper or gauze.
- Then you need to wrap the patient in a warm towel and put under the covers.
- In the same way, mustard plasters are put on their feet. Dry mustard leaf should be put in woolen socks and put on before bedtime.
You cannot achieve a good result if you do not know the technique for performing the procedure for bronchitis, myositis, headaches and similar symptoms of diseases.
With migraine, they fit on the back of the head, with neuralgic diseases - on the sore spot. These methods are used not only for the treatment of adults, but also in the treatment of children.
Doctors insist that it is necessary to act according to the instructions and not exceed the prescribed duration of treatment.Otherwise, complications may occur or a skin burn may occur.
With wet cough and bronchitis
Before starting treatment, you should read the instructions for use of the drug. It describes in detail where to place mustard plasters when coughing to achieve sputum discharge. Remember that the product can not be kept on the skin for longer than 10-15 minutes, otherwise severe irritation or burns will appear at the place of its placement. The treatment procedure is as follows:
- In a bowl filled with warm water (not higher than 45 degrees), put packages of mustard for 5-10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, the package is removed, excess water is shaken off, and then applied to the patient's body.
- A towel is placed on top of the compress, and then the patient is wrapped in a blanket.
- After 5-15 minutes (time depends on the age and characteristics of the patient's body), the compress is removed.
- The remains of mustard are removed from the skin with warm water.
- Wipe the skin dry with a thin cotton cloth.
- Vaseline oil is applied to wiped skin.
You can enhance the effect of treatment with a hot bath or tea. If the patient has a temperature, then water procedures should be postponed. The patient is wrapped in a warm blanket and prepared tea with raspberries or honey. The course of treatment is 3-5 days. It is recommended to carry out no more than 2 procedures per day. With longer therapy, due to constant thermal exposure, patients may experience microtrauma of the skin.
Features of the treatment of dry cough
Mustard with a dry cough should be installed on the back or sternum. To increase the effectiveness of the procedure, you can do this at the same time.
As before, soak the bags in water and place them on the patient's body. Place two sachets in front between chest and neck. At the back, paper envelopes are applied to the interscapular area. Cover the patient with a towel and blanket.
The duration of the manipulation should not be more than a quarter of an hour. With a dry cough, it is enough to warm up for 7-9 minutes.
Upon completion of the procedure, be sure to remove the remnants of mustard powder from the body, then rub the patient and send him to bed.
It is advisable to do this manipulation before bedtime. But if this is not possible, then lie down under the covers for at least 40-50 minutes. Otherwise, the effect of heating with mustard powder will have little effect.
There is evidence that the palm area near the thumb is responsible for the respiratory system. Mustard for the treatment of dry cough can be applied there. The duration of the procedure is the same as for warming the back.
Instructions for use
The product with dry mustard powder is used for 4 days without a break. If there is no result, treatment is stopped.
To put mustard plasters for coughing, adults need to prepare:
- a bowl of heated water
- mustard plasters
- warm blanket.
A package of mustard powder is soaked in warm water, immersed in the bottom of the bowl for 10-15 seconds. A mustard leaf is applied to the back or sternum, after which the patient is covered with a blanket. The treatment time is from 5 to 15 minutes. However, with intense burning, you should stop the procedure, or wrap the mustard with gauze. After completion of therapy, the surface of the skin is wiped with a rag, smeared with cream and wrapped in warmth.
When coughing, mustard plasters can be placed on the lower extremities, in the region of the lower leg and feet. Dry mustard can be poured into socks that are worn overnight. Sometimes a package of mustard powder is applied to the palms.
The maximum duration of treatment is 4 days, once a day, in the evening.
When coughing adults
The presented method of treatment is used for prolonged coughing or in the first stages of the disease to prevent the development of the disease:
- Mustard plasters are placed on the back and chest.If the patient has problems with the heart muscle or there is a risk of developing heart disease, then the patch is placed only on the back.
- From above, the heated part of the body is wrapped in a soft towel or covered with a warm blanket.
- Strips of mustard are removed with great care so that the paper does not tear, and mustard powder does not fall on exposed areas of the body.
- The skin is treated with a fat cream, and the patient must observe bed rest for several hours.
Mustard-based products are not used if a person suffers from an acute infectious process. Additional heating of the body and respiratory tract will accelerate the spread of the disease, and will not help the patient recover. You can put mustard plasters with a dry cough only if it is of bacterial origin. For a full recovery, you will have to do 6-7 procedures. Some doctors recommend treating dry lingering cough with mustard boots. Use the tool in the same way as in the treatment of bronchitis.
Is it possible to put mustard plasters on a child?
This question is still undergoing heated discussion and debate. It would seem that mustard plasters are a safe and effective remedy, it acts externally, no synthetic substances enter the child's body. Therefore, warming bags can be used even for small children. But not so simple.
It is believed that in the first year or two it is better not to put mustard plasters on the child. Some pediatricians even recommend abandoning this manipulation until the age of 7.
Putting mustard plasters to children or not is a personal matter for each parent. Specialists can only warn and warn, but are not able to prohibit.
Why should you abandon this procedure with the kids?
- The skin of young children is very delicate and sensitive. Mustard plasters can easily burn.
- If the baby has heart diseases that the parent may not know about, then they will worsen.
- Young children are allergic to mustard powder essential oil. The severity of such a reaction is unpredictable.
- Thermoregulation of babies of the first year is still unstable. Setting mustard plasters can provoke an increase in temperature to high values.
- The child may have contraindications to the procedure, which the parents are not aware of.
Features of treating children
If you are still determined to use a well-known remedy, then you need to know how to put mustard plasters for coughing for children.
Many kids think this procedure will be painful. Reassure the little patient otherwise. Say that when you experience discomfort, you will immediately remove everything.
You can distract the baby with cartoons or hold him in your arms to give confidence. Older kids can be offered reading or lure them with what they love.
It is necessary for the child to apply mustard plasters just like an adult. Avoid the area of the heart and do not place bags on the spine.
Moisten the paper squares with warm water and apply to the selected area (chest or back). Cover your baby with a towel and blanket. The duration of the procedure depends on the age of the baby:
- children under three years old must keep mustard plasters for 2 minutes,
- children under 7 years old - no more than 4 minutes,
- schoolchildren - 7 minutes.
Such a framework should be adhered to if the manipulation does not cause any discomfort in the child.
When the baby begins to complain of severe burning or pain, it is necessary to immediately remove the warming bag and wipe the skin with a clean, damp cloth.
Periodically look at the area where mustard plasters are located. If there is severe redness, immediately interrupt the procedure.
How to prepare and conduct the procedure
Children are afraid of mustard plaster, like injections, because the first stage of preparation is psychological. Explain to the baby that the purpose of the procedure is to warm the back in order to recover faster.
Tell us what you will do and why the procedure is useful.Reassure by the promise that you will stop it if he becomes uncomfortable. A restless child will not get the desired effect, because it will spin and be capricious.
Moreover, the excitement is able to catch up with heat again.
Prepare the necessary:
- mustard leaves or mustard packages
- warm water (no more than 40 degrees),
- gauze or paper towel, perforated paper,
- cotton towel or napkin,
- terry towel or blanket for shelter,
- baby cream
- water thermometer
- Lay the baby in bed on her stomach in a comfortable position. Bare the back and chest (if shown to apply heat on both sides).
- Lubricate the application area with a thin layer of baby cream. If the child is under 6 years old, cover the paper, tissue or cheesecloth.
- Wet mustard plasters with completely warm water, pat the excess with a napkin and apply to the skin.
- Put your clothes on the back and insulate with a plaid. Little children can be tightly wrapped up and picked up.
- For the first session, 3 minutes of warming are enough. Next time, increase the time to 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the compress and wipe the skin dry with a tissue towel until dry. If the skin burns badly, wipe with a warm, damp towel. A thin layer of Panthenol ointment will not be superfluous.
- Put the child to bed with a warm blanket for another hour for better effect. It is best to arrange warming before bedtime.
Applying mustard to a child
Do not force the child to endure a burning sensation. The extra 2 minutes of heating will not bring benefits, but the skin will be burned. The intensity of warming in compresses is different. For example, fresh powder warms much stronger and faster, so listen to the request of the child to stop the procedure.
For children, it is recommended to choose children's mustard plasters or packages. They are not so dangerous for children's covers. The protective paper layer makes the compress less aggressive. Direct contact of the powder with the skin, like that of a mustard leaf, provokes irritation and warming faster.
With a runny nose for adults
With prolonged runny nose, the patch is applied to the feet - in adults they can be placed both on the entire surface of the leg, and on the heel. But doctors do not recommend sticking a patch on the nose.
So, how to put mustard plasters with a stuffy nose:
- A strip of mustard powder is dipped in water for 15 seconds, and then shaken to remove excess moisture.
- Slowly attach the mustard plaster to the foot (heel) and wrap it with cling film in several layers.
- Put on terry socks and wrap yourself in a blanket for several hours. If the skin on the stupas is quite firm, then the patch can be kept on foot all night.
If the feet are completely covered with rough skin and the procedure does not bring a positive result - doctors are allowed to apply mustard plasters to the back.
Where do mustard plasters put on cough
Compresses many people fix on the back or chest. With cough and bronchitis, this arrangement of mustard plasters is correct. With prolonged runny nose, packages of mustard are fixed on the calf muscles. If the nose is heavily blocked, it is recommended to fix them on the feet and put on woolen socks on top. There should be no cracks in the heel area. With a prolonged cough, doctors advise to place mustard plasters as follows:
- If an unpleasant symptom is caused by bronchitis, then the bags are attached simultaneously to the back and chest. Compresses are placed between the shoulder blades. They are fixed on the chest about 5-10 cm below each collarbone. It’s important not to touch the area of the heart.
- With tracheitis and dry cough, mustard plasters are placed on the area between the shoulder blades. The patient's body temperature should not exceed 37 ° C.
How much to keep
The duration of the procedure varies depending on the diagnosis, age, pain threshold of the patient, cough intensity. The recommended time for adults is 10-15 minutes, for the first time 5 minutes is enough.For children aged 6 years, the duration is 5-10 minutes, for a start, 2 minutes is enough. The optimal time for babies 2-6 years is 2-3 minutes.
An important role in this case is played by a moderate approach; a large amount does not guarantee a better effect.
The data are considered averaged, the boundaries should be adhered to in order to obtain the most optimal effect and in order to avoid harming the patient. An important role is played by the patient's response.
An indicator of the effectiveness of the method is redness of the skin and a feeling of warmth. After a certain time, a burning sensation appears on the skin, mustard plasters should not be removed while it is tolerable.
How often can the procedure be repeated?
Abuse of procedures, their frequent and prolonged use is also not beneficial. Intensive care can cause burns and allergies, which will speed recovery. The method is recommended to be used daily before going to bed; the optimal amount is considered to be from 5 times, subject to daily use.
How to put an adult
First of all, you should decide on the overlay zone. The following places should be avoided: spine, collarbone and scapula. The patient should take a horizontal position.
It is important to pre-prepare a container of warm water, a towel, oil / cream, mustard for coughing.
It is recommended to distribute the powder from bags with loose mustard over the entire surface, lower the plates for several seconds in water, apply to the skin.
Features of use during pregnancy
Mustard powder has warming properties, which is dangerous in the first trimester of bearing a child. An increase in temperature in the pelvic area can lead to an increase in uterine activity, which can provoke premature termination of pregnancy.
Warming threatens to increase blood pressure. Narrowing the lumen of blood vessels leads to oxygen starvation. This condition is dangerous throughout pregnancy. In the first trimester, mustard plasters for coughing are completely contraindicated for a pregnant woman; doctors are divided on the advisability of the method at a later date.
The application of a moist sheet with mustard in the chest area or between the shoulder blades should be discarded. Mustard in socks will have a soft warming effect. In the third trimester, mustard plasters are also dangerous when coughing, and an additional release of adrenaline into the blood should be avoided. Any therapy must be pre-approved by a doctor.
How to put mustard plasters on a child when coughing
When using this local remedy to treat children, you need to be careful. Mustard plasters for children when coughing are put through a thin cotton cloth. It can be pre-saturated with vegetable oil. The procedure is not advisable if the child is younger than 2 years old. The recommended age for starting treatment with mustard plasters is 6 years. By this time, parents already know how their child responds to allergens. The procedure is as follows:
- A leaf with mustard is dipped in warm water for 15-20 seconds.
- The product is applied to the back of the child and lightly pressed with a towel.
- After 5-10 minutes, the compress is removed, the remnants of mustard are removed from the skin with warm water.
- The exposure area is lubricated with petroleum jelly.
Mustard plasters for children with cough can be replaced with home-made plasters. To make them, you need mustard powder and a cellophane film. 2 tablespoons of dry raw materials are diluted in a liter of warm water, and then 1 liter of boiling water is added to the mixture. The cellophane film is wetted in the solution, then placed on the body of the child. After 5 minutes, the compress is removed. Treatment of children with mustard plasters and home-made plasters is best done before bedtime.
When coughing in children
Mustard plasters can be used for dry and wet coughs. The main thing is to make sure that the product does not cause an allergic reaction.
For the treatment of wet cough, it is enough to carry out one procedure so that the bronchi and lungs are cleared of sputum.
With a dry cough, you must use mustard plasters a little longer, but a positive result will not keep you waiting - the patient will feel better on the third day, it will become easier to breathe and pain will decrease.
The rules of home treatment include the following steps:
- Mustard plasters stay in warm water for 5-10 seconds.
- The patch with a wet cough lies between the shoulder blades, and with a dry one - on the back or calves. In any case, the patient must be wrapped in a blanket.
- The time of the procedure depends on the age of the small patient. For example, children under 3 years old can withstand mustard plasters for no more than 3 minutes. Babies from 4 to 7 years are recommended to carry out the procedure for no longer than 5 minutes. And children under 12 years old - no more than 10 minutes.
- After removing the mustard plasters, wipe the skin with a towel, and a thin ball of petroleum jelly is applied on top and rubbed in smooth movements.
- At the end, the baby is again covered with a blanket or dressed in warm clothes, while at the same time giving warm tea with raspberries.
With a runny nose for children
When a child is tormented by a runny nose, a mustard patch is applied to the feet, observing some safety rules:
- The mustard plaster falls into the water for 5 minutes and is applied to the foot with the back side.
- Another option is to moisten the napkin with vegetable oil, wrap it with skin, and apply a strip of mustard with gentle movements on top.
- After the mustard plasters are removed from the skin, the feet are wiped with a towel, treated with a hypoallergenic cream and kept warm.
Mustard plasters have several medical contraindications to use, but they are sold over the counter in a pharmacy. Therapy should not be administered to people with hypersensitivity, individual intolerance, asthma, tuberculosis, a recent heart attack or stroke, to children (less than a year old and under the age of three).
Mustard must not be used for:
- elevated temperature (warming increases body temperature, which is often found in childhood),
- neoplasms (do not change the temperature regime of the body when any types of formations appear),
- internal bleeding (a warming procedure will only worsen the situation: pressure will increase and blood vessels will expand),
- the presence of blood clots.
Also, the formulation of mustard plasters is not advised to pregnant women (during pregnancy, consultation with a doctor and the selection of another method of treating cough).
Mustard plasters are prohibited in the area of the heart and spine. These areas cannot be heated.
Cough Wraps for Kids
For young children, pediatricians recommend not mustard plasters, but mustard wraps. This procedure is considered less dangerous, but equally effective. Suitable over 2 years. To conduct it, you will need a few mustard plasters, water and a cotton or linen cloth.
Dampen the cloth and transfer mustard to it. Wrap the baby’s chest with this design, leave it on for 5 minutes. The rule of the first complaint here works exactly the same as when setting mustard plasters.
If a small patient speaks of pain and severe burning, heating should be stopped. After the wrap is removed, the child needs to be washed with warm water.
You will not be able to remove the remaining powder with a towel. Do not use hot water for washing, as it can burn irritated skin.
After that, wipe the baby dry, put on pajamas and send him to bed.
Is it possible to put mustard plasters with a dry cough and tracheitis?
For tracheitis, the chest compress and the mustard boots method are most effective. ” Compresses are applied to the calves and soles of the feet and insulated with socks made of natural thread and wool. If the patient has a runny nose, then such pads remove this problem too.
By time, the session is unchanged - from 3 to 5 minutes for children and from 5 to 15 adults.Nevertheless, focus on the sensations, being in mustard “boots”. The skin on the feet, near the toes, is quite vulnerable. And in a company with natural wool, the burn will turn out faster than we would like.
To treat dry cough, you must apply mustard plasters on the feet
Be careful with compresses on the legs: they are able to lower blood pressure by a dozen units in 5 minutes! Mustard “boots” are not recommended for patients with unstable pressure.
During the procedure, care should be taken and attention should be paid to the patient’s behavior, especially if the child is coughing.
- Use mustard plasters purchased in a pharmacy chain. They contain a certain amount of powder needed for one 15-minute procedure. If you cook the bags yourself, then you can go too far with mustard, as a result of which you can earn a burn.
- Do not use one mustard plaster twice. The effectiveness of repeated manipulation is reduced significantly. Some patients try to increase the warm-up time, but even this does not lead to anything good. Reapplied mustard plaster - ineffective and dangerous.
- Do not leave mustard plasters at night. An exception can only be made for dry sachets nested in socks. But in this way, cough is usually not treated. "Mustard boots" are used to combat the common cold.
- Do not use warming agents for a long time. Maximum - 4 consecutive days. If during this time the cough did not go away or you do not feel any improvement, then you need to see a doctor.
- Avoid the area of the heart. An attack of angina pectoris is eliminated by setting the sachet on the heart muscle. But if you treat a cough, then you can’t do this.
- After manipulation, lubricate the skin with a softening agent. Compliance with this rule will help you avoid peeling, coarsening and itching caused by exposure to mustard powder.
Many consumers praise mustard plasters, calling them an effective cough cure. However, doctors are not inclined to say so. Doctors strongly recommend not to self-medicate, but to strictly fulfill their prescription.
Not always cough can be cured by warming. So, for example, with pneumonia you can not do without antibiotics. Mustard plasters help little with pneumonia.
If you put mustard plasters without a doctor’s prescription, but within 3-4 days do not notice any improvement or after the first procedure hyperthermia appears, then do not continue the dangerous and useless manipulations. Visit a medical facility soon. Perhaps the cough is caused by a condition in which the use of warming agents is contraindicated.
To avoid unwanted reactions from the body or complications, it is necessary to strictly follow the instructions and adhere to safety rules.
- The heating procedures during various diseases are prescribed only by a doctor.
- It is necessary to exclude the presence of an allergic reaction to the mustard mixture in yourself or the child.
- Using a thermometer, measure the temperature of the prepared water into which the patches will be dipped.
- Strictly monitor the time (for adults - no more than 15 minutes, for children - 3-5-10 minutes), the condition of the skin under the application.
- Do not apply the product in the area of the mammary glands, kidneys, pelvis, heart, on the spinal column and damaged skin areas.
After the end of the session, the skin is wiped with water, dried, and in some cases lubricated with a greasy baby cream. It is recommended to alternate the localization of applications (one day on the chest, every other day under the shoulder blades).
How to put mustard plasters on children when coughing?
One of the auxiliary methods for treating cough that occurs with colds or SARS is the use of mustard plasters.They are sheets or bags of mustard powder.
Advice on the use of mustard plasters is especially often heard from the older generation, but young parents should figure out on their own how the use of mustard affects the child, when its use is prohibited and how to properly carry out the procedure.
Mustard powder is irritating as well as distracting. Upon contact with water, it begins to release essential oils that affect the skin and blood vessels. The result will be increased circulation, improved metabolic processes at the site of application, as well as reflex stimulation of the autonomic nervous system.
When used to eliminate cough, mustard plasters will increase blood supply to the mucous membranes of the bronchi and thereby increase the amount of mucus secreted.
The use of mustard plasters is often resorted to with SARS, when the respiratory tract is affected, for example, with laryngitis, tracheitis or bronchitis. They are prescribed with a dry exhausting cough in order to activate sputum production during the recovery period.
Often, mustard plasters are also prescribed for edema of the respiratory tract, for example, in the larynx and nasopharynx. In this case, mustard plasters are placed on the legs, thereby redistributing blood in the body, making breathing and swallowing easier.
Although much less often, the use of mustard plasters is also recommended for bruises or sprains, muscle pain and neuralgia.
- Mustard plasters can not be used in the active phase of the disease, since such a procedure due to its thermal effect will enhance the inflammatory process. Their use is contraindicated at elevated temperatures, as well as the day after the temperature has returned to normal.
- Mustard plasters are not allowed to be placed on damaged or inflamed skin, as well as in places of birthmarks.
- In some children, a pronounced allergic reaction appears on mustard, so before the first procedure, a small piece of mustard must be cut off and put on the skin of the child for 10 minutes. With the appearance of burning and severe redness, the use of mustard plasters is abandoned.
- Mustard plasters can cause burns, so the areas of their application are constantly changing, and the procedure itself is not carried out for more than 4 days in a row.
- Mustard fumes can cause laryngeal spasm and difficulty breathing. This leads to a ban on the procedure for asthma, obstructive bronchitis and laryngotracheitis.
- Mustard plasters are not used for tumor processes, neurodermatitis or psoriasis.
Mustard plasters are not recommended for the treatment of infants, so this procedure is not performed for babies younger than one year old. Experts advise to limit the use of mustard plasters and at the age of 1-3 years. The use of such treatment for coughing in a child of 2 years should be very careful and less prolonged than in children 4 years of age and older.
Modern mustard plasters are sold in the form of:
- Sachets. Inside is mustard powder, and the bag itself is divided into 2-4 cells. This form is more often used in early childhood.
- Leaves. They are coated with a thin layer of mustard powder. They are used for older children, for example, at 7 years old.
In addition to such mustard plasters, dry mustard can also be used for procedures. It is usually bought for foot compresses.
Places for applying mustard plasters in order to help the child get rid of dry cough are the chest and back. Mustard plasters can also be placed on the feet and muscles of the leg.
If mustard plasters are placed on the chest, it is important to avoid the area of the heart and nipples, and during the procedure on the back, mustard plasters can not be placed above the spine and kidney area.
To put mustard plasters on coughing, your actions should be as follows:
- After reading the instructions, prepare a container with heated water (its temperature should not exceed + 45 ° C).
- Lay the baby in bed.
- Dip each mustard in water for 5-10 seconds, apply to the skin and gently smooth.
- Cover the body area with mustard towel.
- Periodically check the skin reaction for the procedure.
- When the skin is clearly reddened (usually this occurs after 5-10 minutes), remove the mustard plasters and rinse the skin with warm water.
- Lubricate your skin with cream or baby oil.
The procedure is performed once a day. The optimal time for the use of mustard plasters is called evening. They are placed on the body of a child who is lying in bed and is about to fall asleep.
Mustard plasters are kept for children from one to three years old for no longer than two minutes.
To activate the reflexogenic zones of the feet, mustard is often used on the feet. Dry mustard can be poured into socks (a teaspoon in each sock) and put on the child’s legs, leaving for the night. The procedure is not performed in infancy and in the acute phase of infection. The application of paper mustard to the feet is allowed from 5 years.
A well-known doctor refers the use of mustard plasters to distracting procedures, focusing the attention of parents on such points:
- Mustard plasters will not help cure a child if the disease is serious, and a mild illness in which mustard is effective will pass without its use.
- An individual allergic reaction to mustard is very common.
- Vapors from mustard will irritate the mucous membranes, so for children with a tendency to allergies or obstruction, the procedure at home is contraindicated.
- Before the procedure, make sure that the expiration date of the mustard plaster has not expired.
- If mustard plasters torture the child, it is better to abandon such a procedure, because in the fight against acute respiratory viral infections it is much more efficient to use clean, moist air and plenty of drink.
- Store an open mustard package in a refrigerator.
- Prepare for the procedure in advance and put the baby cream and towel next to it to cover the baby after the end of the manipulation.
- If the baby begins to complain of a burning sensation or an irritating cough occurs during the procedure, immediately remove the mustard plasters and rinse the skin thoroughly.
- Remember that redness after the procedure may remain for several days. The duration and degree of redness is determined by the individual sensitivity of the skin of the child.
- At the age of 3 years old, it is recommended to put mustard plasters on the skin of the child on the reverse side. So, the action of mustard will be softer.
Mustard on the neck and sternum with tracheitis
When tracheitis, a mustard patch is applied to the lower part of the neck and lasts no more than 10 minutes.
After the procedure, a soothing cream is applied to the reddened area, and a turtleneck is put on top or a scarf is tied.
The option of "installing" mustard plasters in the sternum (without touching the heart) or on the back is possible.
How to put on your back
Before you put mustard plasters on coughing on your back, you must:
- Lay the patient in a comfortable position, so that the arms lie along the torso, and the head is at body level.
- Mustard plasters moistened in warm water lie on the upper back or between the shoulder blades and under them. They need to be smoothed out with your hands so that the mustard spreads equally on the skin.
- Compress can not be laid on the spine and hold for more than 15 minutes.
- Be sure to cover the patient with a towel or blanket during the procedure, and then lubricate his body with vegetable oil, petroleum jelly or cream.
How to put on the chest
A mustard patch is applied to the chest in case of diseases of the respiratory organs. This is not a big deal if:
- Soak mustard plaster before use in water and place on the diaphragm.
- At a time from top to bottom, experts recommend using 2 or 3 plasters, which will evenly warm the internal organs.
- Mustard powder must be avoided in the area of the heart muscle, as this will provoke its excessive work.
- After the home procedure, keep the chest in warmth and do not get out of bed once again.
With colds, doctors often advise their patients to compress the calf muscles. This has the following reasons:
- so the effect of treatment comes faster
- it’s easy to apply such a bandage without assistance,
- the skin on the legs in adults is not so sensitive and the risk of burns is reduced.
The basic rules for conducting such a home procedure:
- Mustard plasters, when coughing, are placed on the calves with a mustard layer down and gently crushed to the skin.
- A piece of fabric is superimposed on top, and after that - the patch is wound to the leg with a bandage. This makes it possible in case of urgent need to get out of bed or bend your legs.
- Need to wrap up for 10 minutes. into the blanket, after removing the bandage and dipping the treated surface with a little lukewarm water.
Mustard on the feet, on the heels
Mustard plasters can also be used for baths during colds. To do this, you must:
- Heat the water by no more than 40 degrees and pour it into a basin.
- Put 2 mustard plasters on the bottom or, as a last resort, dissolve 3 large spoons of mustard powder in warm water.
- Dip your feet in a basin and cover your feet with a warm blanket or blanket.
- Steam for 30 minutes or until an unpleasant sensation appears. Add warm water as needed.
- At the end of time, wipe your feet with a towel, put on warm socks and go to bed, or at least lie down for 2-3 hours.
- After the procedure, put on warm socks and lie under the covers.
Experts also recommend adding a few drops of essential oil to the pelvis to calm down and carry out a kind of inhalation.
Mustard in socks
Pouring mustard in socks is another way to use mustard plasters for medicinal purposes.
Most often it is applied to small children or people with sensitive skin, since this option is more gentle, although it takes more time:
- Before starting treatment, the feet must be wiped with a dry towel.
- Mustard powder is poured into socks made of natural material (preferably cotton), with the expectation that an adult needs 2 large spoons per foot, and a child needs one small spoon.
- This compress is worn on the legs, and on top are another socks.
- This should be done all night, and in the morning rinse the mustard with warm water without soap and other cosmetics.
Can I replace them with pepper patch?
The use of pepper or mustard patch in accordance with the instructions for colds gives a positive effect and helps to recover.
The composition of the patch includes natural components that create an anesthetic and warming effect. At the same time, sputum discharge improves, and cough decreases.
Before using the patch, the skin is degreased with an alcohol-containing solution, and then wiped dry. Put a patch on the back of the patient between the spine and shoulder blades. Hold one 2 to 3 days. After this, the patch should be replaced with a new one. Treatment with this method is long, but after 2-3 weeks there is relief and recovery.
Mustard patch acts more gently than mustard plasters, but its use also has contraindications.
It can be used by pregnant women, if at the same time there is no discomfort in the lower abdomen. During lactation, a woman should also pay attention to whether there is an allergy to the patch in the child. If there are such symptoms, the patch should be removed immediately.
How and where to put mustard plasters and pepper patch when coughing
Do not use a patch:
- on the skin with damage or an abundance of moles and birthmarks,
- if you are allergic to any of the components of the patch,
- with dermatological diseases,
- with very sensitive skin
- in the treatment of infants and young children.
If irritation appears after using the patch, you need to lubricate this place with a healing, skin-soothing cream.
Can I put during pregnancy?
The action of mustard plasters is harmful to pregnant women. As a rule, the manufacturer does not indicate this in contraindications, but according to doctors, this is so. There are good reasons not to use this method of treatment for women who are expecting a baby:
During the use of mustard plasters, the pressure rises, and in the uterus, the vessels narrow and the child begins to receive less oxygen, which affects the development of the fetus very badly. In addition, mustard has the effect of causing an abortion.
As you know, doctors categorically do not recommend any body warming for pregnant women, such as hot baths. All of this can contribute to uterine activity and the risk of miscarriage.
Women during this period need to use other types and methods of treatment. Such as:
- Inhalations that do not harm the expectant mother, but will bring a lot of benefits. Inhalations can be done with herbs that give an expectorant effect and help remove sputum.
- Chamomile, calendula, eucalyptus, this is not a complete list of herbs that can be used in the treatment of pregnant women. In the pharmacy you can buy ready-made mixtures for inhalation. The main thing is to check if there is an allergy to a future mother for any herbs.
- Do not forget about the use of essential oils such as fir. Or the well-known ointment - a Vietnamese star. Use them carefully, so as not to harm mom and fetus.
- Perhaps the use of honey massage. The effect of it is the same as that of mustard plasters, but without harm to the body.
- On the back, excluding the spine, iodine mesh can be applied.
- Tea with coltsfoot or linden is considered an excellent folk remedy, relieving cough. The use of warm milk with honey also copes well with this problem.
Can mustard plasters be available to pregnant women and children up to a year old?
The main task of mustard plasters is to warm the skin and make the immune system work harder. During pregnancy, this effect can cause uterine contractions, which will negatively affect the condition of the fetus.
A miscarriage may occur or pregnancy may freeze, both in the early and late stages. Therefore, before using mustard plasters, a special test should be done, if necessary.
And children up to a year will experience a strong load on the heart, which is fraught with a deplorable result. So in both cases it is better to look for alternative treatments.
Where to put mustard plasters for bronchitis?
With bronchitis and severe cough, mustard plasters are placed on the back and chest.
If the patient has heart problems, then mustard plasters are placed solely on the back.
Is it necessary to treat the skin after mustard plasters?
After removing the mustard plaster, the places of redness should be wiped with a dry towel, and the reddened area of the skin should be lubricated with a moisturizing cream. This procedure will allow you to feel pleasant warmth for another 20-30 minutes. The patient should continue to be in bed for at least 30 minutes. The best option is to carry out such a procedure before bedtime.
Special instructions for treating children
In case of cough, mustard plasters are given to children as well as to adults, but there are some differences.
First of all, mustard plasters are placed exclusively on the back of the child. Considering that babies have thin and delicate skin, it is not recommended to apply a mustard leaf directly on the baby's skin. It would be better to cover the back with a small piece of gauze or thin tissue and only then apply mustard.
The first procedure lasts no more than 5 minutes. See how your child reacts for an allergic skin reaction. If everything goes fine, then each subsequent procedure should be increased by 1-2 minutes. However, mustard plasters should be on the body for no more than 10 minutes.
Check the area under the mustard every few minutes. Each child has its own pain threshold, so some children cry already from the slightest redness, others even suffer severe pain. Be careful not to burn yourself.
After removing the mustard plasters, the baby needs to be wiped and greased with cream. Then wrap up and put to bed. Never use alcohol-based rags instead of cream.
Dry mustard leaves are also used, which are put in socks and put on the baby for the night. In this case, the child should be covered with a blanket.
How many days do mustard plasters put
Without the permission of a medical practitioner, mustard plasters are not used for more than 4 consecutive days. Especially, this applies to those cases when during the treatment there is no positive result.
With a strong cough, the course of treatment can increase up to 10 days, but this applies only to adults and children who are already 12 years old.
Can I put mustard on coughing a child?
Specialists allow, sometimes even recommend the described procedure to facilitate breathing. Mustard plasters for coughing are recommended for children as a distracting and local irritant.
They contribute to the rapid expansion of blood vessels and increased blood circulation around the respiratory organs, the activation of the immune system, and the reduction of swelling of the nasopharynx. Thanks to mustard plasters, sputum liquefies and is easier to discharge from the lungs and bronchi.
Essential oils released in contact with water slightly relieve pain and facilitate breathing.
Before putting mustard plasters on coughing for children, you need to familiarize yourself with the contraindications to manipulation:
- damage to the epidermis (wounds, abrasions, scratches),
- pustular processes or rashes at the site of the formulation,
- very sensitive skin
- allergic reactions
- tumors of any quality,
How to apply
When using mustard plasters there are no problems. It is important to follow instructions whose rules are simple. First you need to warm the liquid to 50 degrees and dip a sheet or bag of mustard powder into it.
After 15-20 seconds, you should begin to apply the product to the diseased part of the body, gradually smoothing it. For a greater effect, it is recommended to spread gauze between the mustard and the body. Then you need to wrap yourself in a blanket.
Observe the points of the application scheme for the most effective result of the procedure.
To avoid unwanted results, such as burns, mustard must be kept for 15 minutes. If, while warming, the mustard burns the skin, you must immediately remove it.
Reddened skin is the result of the healing process. After the procedure, the remaining mustard powder is washed off the body. The patient needs a two-hour rest.
It is impossible to warm up alone, so you need to ask a specialist for help.
To get more benefits from warming, at the end of therapy you need to drink homemade sweet milk tea or berry juice with linden honey. According to statistics, treatment with mustard plasters brings many advantages. A strong cough is eliminated after four or five repetitions of the procedure.
Putting mustard plasters when coughing for children is not an easy task. The child has a fear of therapy. Therefore, it is important to carefully explain that warming is not painful. Due to anxiety, it is difficult to achieve a healing effect.
The second stage of preparation relates directly to the things that are required for therapy. First you need to prepare the water heated to 50 degrees, then moisten the mustard in it. Baby cream should lubricate a certain area of the child’s body. Then you can begin to apply the mustard so that it does not leave wet traces. If necessary, wipe the place with a paper towel. At the end of the procedure, it is important to wrap the little patient well with a plaid.
The first treatment should not exceed three minutes. Subsequent sessions can be increased up to 5-7 minutes.After the time has passed, remove the compress and wipe the skin dry. With severe burning, you can smear a part of the body with Panthenol ointment. It is most effective to arrange warming up in the evening or before bedtime. The procedure can only be done once a day.
It is important to know that this therapy is contraindicated in infants. Only from 4 years old you can begin such a prophylaxis. To put the child mustard plasters or not - the specialist decides. The issue is still relevant today, as the opinions of medical workers differ. Some doctors believe that warming therapy is useful in fighting cough. Other experts advise, on the contrary, to abandon it.
Adults should also use mustard plasters with care. It is important to know that it is possible to be treated in this way only if three and a half hours have passed after taking alcoholic beverages. It is also forbidden to smoke during therapy.
Mustard plasters are kept for 20 minutes. Then relies on bed rest. Warming up is recommended once a day. Cough with mustard must be treated for several days. As a preventive measure, the warming-up procedure is carried out once every two months.
How many times a day?
In severe forms of the disease, mustard plasters are placed 2 times a day. But often, doctors recommend that you do not abuse this method and use a mustard patch 1 time per day.
The most suitable time is just before bedtime, as the patient will have the opportunity to relax, warm up and allow the body to treat itself.
Where can I put
The location of the mustard is determined by the nature of the disease. With a wet cough, the lower parts of the respiratory system become inflamed. It appears with a disease of bronchitis, pneumonia, tracheitis. To recover, it is necessary to remove sputum from the lungs. In this case, mustard plasters are placed on the back.
Dry cough treatment requires the installation of mustard plasters in the back or chest. If the warming method does not help, you can use another method. Warming is possible with the help of cans. The effect will be the same, but only technology with banks is used at the end of the disease.
Body hold time
For adult patients, the first "trial" mustard is applied for 5 minutes. The next compress can be extended up to 10-15 minutes if an allergic reaction does not occur or blisters do not appear. In this case, there should not be a strong burning sensation.
The place under the mustard must warm up well and can pinch a little. Ideally, the patient should feel pleasant warmth. If obvious pain symptoms or severe burning appear during the procedure, stop the procedure immediately.
After removing mustard leaves, you need to wipe the redness with a towel and grease with any greasy cream or oil. Then again wrap up the patient and leave him in bed for at least half an hour.
When it comes to children, then a mustard patch is applied no more than 2 minutes. Each time, this time increases if the patient's age exceeds 7 years or there is a doctor’s permission for such actions.
The procedure is terminated ahead of schedule if the child complains of pain, burning, or if the upper layer of the epidermis turns red and very red quickly.
If these rules are not followed, burns may form on the body.
Can mustard plasters be at temperature?
Heat and fever are included in the list of contraindications for the use of this procedure. The higher the body temperature, the faster the blood circulates in the body. This increases the load on the heart valves, liver and kidneys. Mustard must not be placed at a temperature of more than 37.5 degrees.
Such "treatment" will increase the load on the vital organs of the baby, which is fraught with the occurrence of dangerous complications.
How much mustard must be kept when coughing
Today, pharmacies are literally stuffed with a variety of cough medicines.There are sucking sweets, sprays, syrups and more. However, time-tested mustard plasters are still very popular.
Despite their burning and sharp nature, people actively use them in treatment. Even children calmly endure these sensations, especially of school age. You can almost always use these patches in the treatment of a cough reflex, with the exception of temperatures above 37 degrees, since they have a warming effect.
Pepper plaster is very convenient in use. Firstly, it acts gently, and secondly, it can be kept on the body for a long time - at least two to three days (however, if there is too much burning, the patch must be removed).
It is one of the distractions and painkillers. It can be used for the same diseases in which mustard plasters are used, as well as for lumbago, myositis, neuralgia, radiculitis. The composition of the plaster mass is complex, this mass includes Capsicum extract, Belladonna extract, Arnica tincture, Pine rosin and other ingredients.
Before using the patch, the area of the skin on which it is to be worn must be thoroughly wiped with alcohol or ether (degreasing).
Sometimes the pepper patch is quite difficult (painful) to remove, in such cases, the surface of the patch should be moistened with alcohol, and if not, then with ordinary vodka. If dermatitis is detected from the action of the patch, the use of the patch (at least temporarily, must be discarded.
At what age can you put mustard plasters on a child?
Most pediatricians do not recommend locally irritating and distracting therapy if the baby is less than 3 years old.
Some specialists are more loyal, and allow children to put mustard plasters before, at what age this can be done, the doctor will say for sure, but the child should be older than 12 months.
The skin of infants is characterized by increased sensitivity, it has not yet been adapted to aggressive influences and external irritations.
It is important to ask your doctor in advance how to put mustard plasters when coughing small children, how much to keep, so as not to cause a burn of the epidermis. In addition, you should check whether the baby has an allergic reaction to the natural product in question. High concentrations of essential oils often provoke a negative immune response.
Features of use
Mustard plasters help much better than some modern medicines. The fact is that the patches have a local effect. They are applied both to the chest and to the back.
Usually treated by them within 4 days. It is enough to put mustard plasters once a day so that they have a therapeutic effect.
If the therapy is extended, then the patient may develop an allergic reaction to the patches.
How and what is treated for frequent dry cough in a child
Use mustard plasters as follows:
- Prepare a clean bowl of warm water, a towel, a blanket, and accessories themselves.
- Dip each sheet in water and leave for 3-4 minutes.
- Place cards on the patient’s body.
- Put a towel on top and cover with a blanket (preferably terry).
Many people ask themselves: how much mustard must be kept when coughing so that they have the desired effect? It is enough to hold at least 12-13 minutes.
A person should feel a burning sensation, after which you can wait a couple more minutes, and then remove the mustard plasters. It is very important that the patient is still warm. It is recommended to put mustard plasters at night. In no case should they be overexposed, otherwise a burn will appear on the body.
We remind you that the reuse of medical plasters is unacceptable! Therefore, immediately after the procedure, they must be discarded. In the morning, it is advisable to lubricate the patient’s skin with a special cream or oil.
Red spots on the skin should not be scary, since this is a normal phenomenon that will disappear a couple of days after the end of treatment.
Mustard Wrap: Pros and Cons
With bronchitis, mustard wrap is often used. Mix 1 tablespoon of dry mustard, honey and flour with 2 tablespoons of water. This mixture is applied to gauze and a circular compress is made. On top of such a compress is covered with a film, and then with a warm scarf or towel.
The positive aspects of this procedure include:
- accessibility of components
- low cost
- ease of use
- good result.
The disadvantages include:
- honey is very allergenic
- not for all diseases, such a procedure is possible,
- the skin should be without damage,
- not suitable for sensitive skin,
- not applicable at elevated body temperature.
When the use of mustard plasters can be harmful
People who have never used mustard plasters do not know in what cases they are forbidden to use. Many of them are interested in whether it is possible to use medical plasters with a slight increase in temperature or minor scratches at the site of exposure.
It is necessary to possess this information, since with some contraindications the patient's condition can significantly worsen.
Mustard plasters are forbidden to apply in such cases:
- Diseases in acute form, which are accompanied by fever up to 37 ° and above,
- During pregnancy, mustard is prohibited on the chest, lower back, limbs, as there is a risk of spontaneous abortion,
- Oncological diseases. When using stickers, the tumor can grow,
- Damage to the skin at the site of exposure: abrasions, scratches, wounds, ulcers, burns. It is also forbidden to use mustard plasters on the skin with moles, inflammatory diseases,
- An allergy to mustard components or a tendency to allergic reactions,
- Asthma. With this disease, mustard plasters can cause a second attack,
- Children under 3 years old.
In addition, mustard plasters are contraindicated in tuberculosis, predisposition to pulmonary hemorrhage, the presence of blood clots, as well as after a recent heart attack or stroke. If you have any questions about the use of mustard plasters, it is best to consult a doctor for advice.
The benefits and harms of popcorn for the human body The benefits and harms of brewer's yeast for the human body Frequent use of mustard plasters
During treatment, coughing is strictly prohibited:
- To smoke. After each cigarette, an even greater narrowing of the vessels of the respiratory tract occurs, i.e. the situation is significantly exacerbated. Due to the inadequate supply of oxygen to cells, the body's defense system is weakened and it cannot properly resist the action of pathogens.
- Drinking alcohol. If there was a reception of alcohol-containing drinks, mustard must be put after a minimum of 3 hours. Otherwise, the cardiovascular system will experience an increased load, resulting in increased blood pressure and worsened general condition.
Indications and contraindications
As already mentioned, mustard plasters can be put both to an adult and to a child. The main thing is to observe all the rules and not to forget in which cases they are effective, and in which they can only aggravate the situation. So, these healing patches can be used for:
- dry cough
How to treat a persistent dry cough in a child
It is unacceptable to use this tool in such cases:
- A person has an allergic reaction to the composition of mustard plasters.
- Individual intolerance.
- The patient has chills and fever.
- There are skin diseases.
- Lactation period.
- The patient suffers from asthma.
- Psoriasis and eczema.
Also, in no case can not be treated with mustard plasters with tumor formations.
Mustard burn - what to do?
If the correct use of mustard plasters is not observed, a burn may occur. The signs of a burn are as follows:
- the skin becomes swollen and bright red,
- dizziness begins
- the patient is sick.
In the case of a mild burn, you can treat yourself at home. The patient needs to be given an anesthetic. Fit lotions with decoctions of chamomile or calendula. Give a plentiful drink. Treat the burn site with alcohol and leave it open for a while. Kefir or sour cream is also used.
Step-by-step instructions for assistance include the following measures:
- Treat the burn site with cool, but not icy water.
- Blot the damaged area of the skin with a sterile cloth to get rid of excess moisture. Doing this with a towel is extremely undesirable.
- Use an antiseptic and apply a bandage. It should not be very tight and it is very important to change the bandages at least 2 times a day.
- Doctors warn that it is forbidden to lubricate the burn with fat, oil or cream - this will not reduce the pain syndrome, and the wound will be covered with a film that only enhances the burning sensation and heat. Heat stroke may occur, the general condition of the body will worsen, and cardiac arrest may occur.
After the start of proper treatment, damaged skin is restored no later than 10 to 14 days later.
Despite the fact that mustard plasters have long been considered a simple and effective means of getting rid of many ailments, their use can instead of the expected recovery bring additional problems or even aggravate the patient's condition. Many doctors believe that the therapeutic result of the use of mustard plasters is exaggerated, and their use has a more "psychological" effect, especially when it comes to respiratory diseases manifested in the form of a dry paroxysmal cough.
But even if the patient and his doctor are sure that mustard compresses are a reliable and time-tested auxiliary method of treating various diseases, treating this remedy as absolutely safe is unacceptable. The desired result can be expected only if you follow the rules of application and take into account possible contraindications.
What is dangerous laryngospasm in adults
According to the instructions for use, it is allowed to put mustard plasters on a child only after he reaches the age of 3 years. The patches should be smaller than those that are applied to adults, and cover, respectively, a smaller area.
Before you put mustard plasters, you need to have a conversation with the child regarding the occurrence of heat and burning in the treatment process. These sensations often provoke the appearance in young children of a strong fear and complete rejection of the procedure in the future.
Important! Mustard plaster is forbidden to put the child directly on the skin. The gauze soaked in vegetable oil is pre-applied to it.
After that, you can place a patch on it. When there are pronounced discomfort, mustard and gauze must be removed and grease the affected area with a moisturizer.
At the end of the procedure, children should rest, wrapped in a warm blanket, for at least 2 hours.
Where to put mustard plasters when coughing for children?
Apply the warming compress correctly to the projection area of the affected organs. There are clear instructions on how to put mustard plasters when coughing for children:
- in the center of the back and just above the shoulder blades,
- on the neck, along the trachea,
- just above the left or right chest (above the lungs).
A clear layout of the mustard plaster is presented below. In the case of using not powder packs and labels, but a dry powder, it is important not to overdo it with its quantity, so as not to cause a burn and irritation.When performing the manipulation, you should remember where to put mustard plasters categorically not:
- mammary glands and nipples,
- heart area
- projection of the kidneys
- area of the liver.
From what age can mustard be used
Some pediatricians, with a strong cough, immediately prescribe these therapeutic plasters to children, since they are practically harmless and have a local effect. If the child is not prone to tantrums and normally does not tolerate the most pleasant sensations, then treatment with mustard plasters will not cause him tears and tantrums.
Another thing is if the baby is difficult to cope with pain and prone to whims. Then this tool can be replaced with a special ointment, which has a similar effect. As for children, they need to keep mustard plasters much less than adults. One session per day for 5 minutes is quite enough for effective therapy. Mustard plasters are recommended for children over 1 year old.
Some young mothers do not know where it is better to put medical plasters. So, it all depends on what kind of disease you are treating. If pneumonia or bronchitis, then it is necessary to put on the chest or back between the shoulder blades.
If they treat a cough, in particular dry, then it should be applied to the front of the chest. If the child has hypertension, then mustard plasters must be placed exclusively on the calf muscles, shoulders or back of the head.
In general, it is very important to take into account age, general condition and ability to tolerate pain during treatment.
Summing up, we note that mustard plasters are effective plates that are recommended for use in the treatment of prolonged dry cough. However, one should not lay their great hopes on them, since by themselves they will not finally cure the patient.
Only under the condition of complex therapy, which includes both taking medications and applying these patches, can a positive outcome of treatment be achieved.
Before making a decision on imposing mustard plasters on a child, you should consult a pediatrician, as he knows better in which cases they are effective and in which they need to be replaced with more effective drugs.
The scar remains in rare cases, but even then it is easy to heal using healing ointments.
During the healing period it is necessary to use a bandage bandage only in case when contact with the skin causes severe discomfort. It is also forbidden to touch the burn site with your hands and peel off the formed crust to avoid infection. If the burns have blood blisters, you should immediately consult a doctor.
Putting mustard plasters when coughing is not as difficult as it might seem. This method of treatment has been used by people from different countries for many decades, and all thanks to its availability, effectiveness and the absence of side effects.
Knowing how to use mustard plasters correctly, you can quickly cure a common cold, dry or wet cough. Applying alternative methods of treatment, you can be sure of the safety of the drug for the body so as not to harm your health with drugs with potent chemical components.
Not a single woman is insured against colds during the period of bearing a child. Most people believe that mustard plasters are an excellent folk remedy for treating cough during this period. This opinion is erroneous.
It is strictly forbidden to put mustard plasters to pregnant women. This is due to the fact that under the influence of the active substance, blood pressure rises, due to which blood vessels in the uterus narrow. There is a state of hypoxia - the child stops receiving the necessary amount of oxygen and vital substances.
Thermal exposure also contributes to the appearance of tone. Because of this, there is a high risk of miscarriage.In ancient times, women carrying an unwanted child, resorted to the help of mustard plasters to terminate the pregnancy.
Some obstetricians do not prohibit the use of patches, but also do not recommend using this method too often. In any case, mustard during pregnancy is a risk and it is not justified. During the period of gestation, it is advisable to give preference to alternative folk methods of treating cough, which will not harm the child.
Staging mustard plasters
The optimal time for the procedure is the evening on the eve of sleep. Before you put mustard plasters on a child, you need to make sure that there is no heat. Additionally, it is worth checking the integrity of the skin in places for applying compresses, soothe the baby.
How to put mustard plasters on a child with cough:
- It is convenient to put the patient to bed. Choose a pose so that the compress is located on top.
- Place a pre-prepared piece of gauze on the treated area.
- Separate packets of mustard.
- Shake them to evenly distribute the powder.
- Dip the mustard in hot water for 10 seconds so that it is completely saturated with liquid.
- Extract package. Let the water drain a little.
- Put a compress on the selected area, slightly press down with the palm of your hand until it snug against the skin.
- Repeat for the rest of the mustard plasters.
- Cover the treated areas with a towel.
- Insulate the compress with a blanket or blanket. Ask the baby to lie down calmly.
The duration of the manipulation depends on the sensitivity of the skin and the age of the children:
- 1-2 years - 2 minutes,
- 3-6 years - 3-4 minutes,
- 7-12 years - 5 minutes.
The use of mustard plasters needs to be controlled. Every 60 seconds, you should lift the edge of the bag and carefully examine the skin for irritation or burns. If the child normally undergoes the first procedure, the next time you can increase the exposure time by half a minute. After removing mustard plasters, it is advisable to dress the baby in soft, dense pajamas and cover with a blanket to keep warm.
Possible side effects
Adverse events after mustard plasters are infrequent, but still occur, especially in children. These include: skin burns, an allergic reaction in the form of redness and rash, fever, increased pain, swelling of the tissues, worsening during the disease.
As a rule, the cause of the side effect is most often ignorance and violation of the rules of treatment with mustard plasters.
And even if you use mustard plasters correctly, the consequences can occur due to increased sensitivity of the skin, nervous, vascular systems, the development of allergies, which can not always be foreseen. Therefore, during the procedure, you need to be attentive to the patient, to his sensations and skin condition, especially in children.
Since almost all of us live in cities with very poor health conditions, and in addition to leading a wrong lifestyle, this topic is very relevant at the moment. We commit many actions or vice versa - we are inactive, completely not thinking about the consequences for our body. Our life is in breathing, without it we will not live even a few minutes. This test will help you determine whether your lifestyle can provoke lung diseases, as well as help you think about your respiratory system health and correct your mistakes.
You have already passed the test before. You cannot start it again.
You must login or register in order to start the test.
You must complete the following tests to start this:
What are mustard plasters?
The following types of mustard plasters are distinguished:
- in the form of a dense leaf with a mustard surface,
- like a bag filled with mustard powder.
The second type of mustard plaster is desirable for young children.
Wet, crumbling and non-aromatic mustard plasters can not give any positive effect. They should be dry and smell like mustard.Therefore, when buying them at a pharmacy, pay attention to the expiration date.
They need to be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 years. However, mustard plasters in open packaging much earlier lose their healing properties.
How to put mustard plasters when coughing for children? We will first understand when they will be appropriate, and when not.
Indications for the use of mustard plasters
With a runny nose, SARS, an early stage of tracheitis, laryngitis, mustard plasters put on the calf and foot. The outflow of blood to the limbs reduces the intensity of dry, barking, paroxysmal cough.
With a wet cough (symptom of bronchitis, pneumonia, viral diseases), mustard plasters are placed on the chest and back (except for the zone of the heart). They perform a warming effect, activate blood circulation in the area of diseased organs.
In addition to cough, mustard plasters help cure osteochondrosis, high blood pressure, myalgia, neuralgia, insomnia, bruises, sprains. The doctor individually determines the area of application, the exposure time of mustard powder.
Children's doctor Yevgeny Komarovsky: Mustard plasters are ineffective, and banks are simply harmful
As soon as we were sick as a child, mothers immediately put us to bed, put mustard plasters or jars, wrapped them in a warm grandmother’s scarf, and put mustard in their socks for the night. And it helped! Meanwhile, the famous pediatrician, the author of popular books on the treatment of children Evgeny Komarovsky to the so-called distracting procedures is very skeptical:
- Each adult has his own, strictly individual idea of whether these procedures are effective or not, due to the experience of their use on himself and his immediate family. A clear relationship - first mustard in socks (banks, warm scarves) - then recovery - is present in the minds of most adults on a subconscious level. Therefore, to dissuade parents that this is all inefficient, stupid. After all, the roots of this “knowledge” are not in clinical evidence from medical textbooks, but in the emotional, subconscious belief that banks will bring recovery.
Do not heal, but be sick for a week
“Meanwhile, the average duration of ARVI is 5-7 days,” the doctor continues. - It is impossible to reduce these terms. This is a biological law - in such a period natural interferons and antibodies to viruses are formed. It is scientific to prove that recovery within 5-7 days did not occur according to the laws of physiology and biology, but under the influence of mustard plasters, cans and compresses - it is impossible. So no one proves.
We don't get sick less, but we can get sick longer. And this is due to the properties of the virus, with the state of immunity, with a violation of the rules for patient care (non-compliance with diet and drinking, poor ventilation and hygiene). There are many factors. It is scientific to prove that distracting procedures can prevent the development of complications, not to mention the fact that it is impossible to cure complications. It is impossible, first of all, because the properties of the virus, the state of immunity and the organization of patient care are many times more significant factors than mustard poured into socks.
- And we do not believe in mustard plasters either! And we believe that we will not get sick Photo: Evgenia GUSEVA
But why does this help?
- Since time immemorial, traditional healers have known that a serious infectious disease that occurs with a normal body temperature is very bad, and there is practically no hope for a cure, because the body "does not fight," Komarovsky explains. “And a ghostly chance of salvation — to raise your body temperature at all costs.” One way is to rub animal fat (goat, goose, badger, bear, etc.) into the skin of a child and then wrap it in many clothes. Fat blocks heat transfer through the skin, and a decrease in heat loss leads to an increase in body temperature. The second is to lower the child in hot water or steam in a bath.The third is a sheet wrap with a locally irritating agent (the most famous wraps are mustard ones). Because of these procedures, the temperature can indeed rise and a fracture will occur in the disease. The child will recover, and a legend about the wonderful properties of badger fat will settle in the family ...
Scientifically About Warmers
But there are also quite scientific explanations for distracting procedures. The easiest way to explain the effectiveness of thermal procedures. Thermal exposure leads to vasodilation, to intensify blood circulation in the organ subjected to heat. Thermal procedures include baths, warming compresses, applying hot paraffin, wrapping and wrapping, poultices and heating pads.
Vasodilatation and activation of blood circulation can also cause skin irritation with mustard, pepper, menthol, etc. The theoretical rationale for the effectiveness of mustard plasters and partially cans is based on the irritating effect.
Not proven or recommended
But at the same time, the reddened skin of the chest or back under the mustard does not mean at all that the activation of blood circulation has affected organs and tissues deeper than the redness zone - subcutaneous fat, ribs, external and internal intercostal muscles, pleura and reached as far as the lung! Nothing of the kind happens and cannot happen. There is an assumption that mustard plaster irritates the reflexogenic zones on the back and this activates blood circulation in the lungs. But to prove it is difficult, almost impossible. After all, pain from mustard is often accompanied by an increase in the frequency and depth of breathing, or even crying, which, in turn, increases pulmonary blood flow. And how to understand here - blood circulation was activated due to the reflexogenic effect of mustard or because the child was sobbing? And how can you advise mustard plasters, if you don’t know, will they be any good, but it’s probably known that this will be unpleasant for the child?
And about banks in general, a separate conversation: modern, civilized medicine does not believe in them and does not recommend them. And moreover, it warns in every possible way that banks grossly disturb blood circulation in the skin and subcutaneous tissue, can lead to irreversible damage to blood vessels and provoke the occurrence of bleeding. Moreover, far from everyone will be able to deliver them correctly.
In addition, banks can not be used for any skin, allergic or infectious diseases, with a tendency to bleeding, or if the child receives drugs that reduce blood coagulation (for example, aspirin). Banks, in principle, are not recommended for children and categorically are not recommended for children of preschool age.
In the acute period of respiratory diseases at elevated temperatures, thermal and irritating distracting procedures are contraindicated, since they activate an already active inflammatory process.
But they may be less effective in the recovery phase, when the condition has improved, the temperature has passed, but there are still cough residues.
And how then to be treated?
With an increase in body temperature, two mandatory actions: 1. Drink plenty - so that there is something to sweat. 2. Cool air in the room.
The higher the body temperature, the more intense perspiration - the more you need to drink. The optimal drink is dried fruit compote, containing very many necessary substances, for example, potassium, which is very (!) Necessary for the normal functioning of the heart and blood vessels, especially at high temperatures. Tea with raspberries dramatically increases the formation of sweat. Therefore, you must be sure that there is something to sweat, which means that you should drink something else (the same compote) before raspberries. You can still have mineral water, decoctions of herbs, viburnum, rose hips, currants, etc. If the body temperature is above 39 degrees, it makes sense to use medications. For use at home, two drugs are optimal - paracetamol and ibuprofen.
A runny nose is also treated with cool air and plenty of drink. As well as constant washing of the nose with saline so that the mucus in the nasal passages does not dry out. It is impossible to overdose it, so drip completely calmly, at least every half hour, 3-4 drops in each nostril. You can make some kind of physiological saline yourself - add 1 teaspoon of salt per 1 liter of boiled water. Never, under any circumstances, drip antibiotic solutions into your nose!
Now about the cough. As with the nose, the main thing is to prevent sputum drying out - all the same cool air and drink. It is categorically unacceptable to use medicines that inhibit coughing without a doctor's instructions. And if it’s unbearable, then use drugs that work on sputum (making it less dense) and enhance bronchial contraction. Cough, whatever it is, always allows you to wait for the local doctor and consult.
Main conclusion: in the vast majority of cases, the body of a normal person is quite capable of coping with a viral infectious disease without any outside help. And our main task is not to interfere with the body!
You are an active person who cares and thinks about his respiratory system and overall health, continue to exercise, lead a healthy lifestyle, and your body will delight you throughout life
But do not forget to undergo examinations in time, maintain your immunity, this is very important, do not overcool, avoid heavy physical and strong emotional overloads. Try to minimize contact with sick people, in case of forced contact, do not forget about protective equipment (mask, washing hands and face, cleaning the respiratory tract)
You are at risk, you should think about your lifestyle and begin to engage in yourself. Physical education is required, and it’s even better to start playing sports, choose the sport that you like most and turn it into a hobby (dancing, cycling, a gym, or just try to walk more). Do not forget to treat colds and flu on time, they can lead to complications in the lungs. Be sure to work with your immunity, temper, as often as possible are in nature and fresh air. Do not forget to undergo planned annual examinations, treating lung diseases in the initial stages is much easier than neglected. Avoid emotional and physical overload, exclude smoking or contact with smokers, if possible, or minimize it. You are completely irresponsible about your health, thereby destroying the work of your lungs and bronchi, take pity on them! If you want to live long, you need to radically change your entire attitude towards the body. First of all, go through an examination with specialists such as a therapist and a pulmonologist, you need to take radical measures, otherwise everything may end badly for you. Follow all the recommendations of doctors, radically change your life, maybe you should change your job or even your place of residence, absolutely eliminate smoking and alcohol from your life, and keep in touch with people who have such addictions to a minimum, temper, strengthen your immunity as much as possible be outdoors more often. Avoid emotional and physical stress. Completely exclude from the household circulation all aggressive agents, replace with natural, natural remedies. Do not forget to do wet cleaning and airing at home.
When should they be set, when - not?
Coughing is the cleansing of the lungs of mucus produced in excess. The reason for this can be bacteria, virus, heart problems, allergens. First you need to find out what kind of cough put mustard plasters on for children.
At the stage of the course of the disease, mustard plasters are dangerous to put - they can only provoke inflammation, and worsen the condition of your baby. They are best used at the final stage of the disease, when the child’s body temperature returns to normal, and coughing is already a residual phenomenon.
At the very beginning of a cold, it would also be nice to use mustard plasters for treatment purposes, since they are able to warm well the lungs and bronchi - this is a warning for acute respiratory infections.
The application of mustard plasters provides improved metabolism in the compress area, blood flow increases at the site of inflammation, the cells are saturated with oxygen and useful substances that help in the fight against the virus.
This panacea for all colds, in the understanding of the elderly, well stimulates the substances that make up immune cells - the so-called phagocytes. As a result of irritation of the skin with mustard plasters, phagocytes acquire activity and begin to intensely absorb virus and infection cells.
Mustard must be used to warm the body after hypothermia, as well as during:
- the course of a child's ARVI, accompanied by inflammation of the nasopharynx, larynx,
- diseases of the upper and lower respiratory tract,
- prolonged dry cough,
- symptoms of osteochondrosis,
- muscle pain
- insomnia with the application of mustard plasters on the calves of the legs.
In no case should a child give mustard plasters if he is allergic to mustard. This can be checked by cutting off a piece of mustard and applying it to the skin of the baby for 10 minutes. The absence of irritation in the form of redness indicates the tolerance of the mustard powder by the child.
When mustard treatments are contraindicated
It’s important to know that there are situations and diseases when you cannot use mustard plasters, These include:
- The acute phase of all colds and inflammatory diseases,
- Acute period of injuries
- An increase in body temperature in children over 37 °, in adults 37.5 ° and above,
- Skin problems: the presence of damage, rash, pustular and fungal infections, chronic diseases - eczema, psoriasis, neurodermatitis,
- The presence of neoplasms on the skin - nevi, angiomas, papillomas,
- Too dry and sensitive skin
- Peripheral vascular diseases - vasculitis, endarteritis, capillarotoxicosis, diabetic angiopathy, rosacea,
- Blood diseases with a decrease in coagulability,
- All oncological diseases,
- All forms of tuberculosis - pulmonary, bone,
- Insufficiency of the cardiovascular system, kidneys,
- Pregnancy and lactation
- Age less than 1 year.
These cases must be remembered, but, nevertheless, it is always better to consult a doctor.
Rules for applying mustard plasters for coughing for adults
To establish mustard plasters in the treatment of wet or dry cough, the patient needs the help of a family member.
- The patient lies on his back, turns his head to his side.
- The assistant rubs his back or calves with baby cream.
- Dips mustard plasters in a basin with water 45-50 °.
- Puts paper plates on areas indicated by the doctor.
- She covers the patient with a towel, and on top with a blanket.
- After 7-15 minutes it removes mustard plasters, utilizes them,
- Rubs the skin with a softening cream.
Then the patient drinks warm tea, breast collection or another healthy drink. If there is a desire, clears throat, tilting the body. After that, the person goes to bed, takes a comfortable pose, does not get up for 1 hour. For the best effect, the procedure is performed before bedtime (in the evening).
Where to put mustard plasters when coughing for children, and where - you can’t?
If your baby has “happened” bronchitis or pneumonia, then put mustard plasters on:
- place under the shoulder blades
- the area between the shoulder blades.
Thus it is necessary to bypass the following places:
- mammary glands
- bone protrusions
- skin wounds.
With a diagnosis of hypertension and during headaches, mustard plasters are attached to the child:
Mustard plasters are placed on the feet of children from the age of 3 years. This method is applicable during a cold and cough. The human feet contain a lot of nerve endings that are associated with the spinal cord and brain.
Mustard is capable of irritating these receptors, due to which the respiratory system responds by expanding blood vessels. You can also pour mustard in the socks of the child at night. One teaspoon will be enough.
If there are wounds or other injuries on the feet, then it is contraindicated to be treated in this way.
Where to put mustard plasters when coughing a child - photo:
Description of the drug
The pharmaceutical industry produces ready-to-use forms of mustard. They are of two types:
- Small sheets of paper (size 8 cm by 12.5 cm), coated with a layer of ground mustard seeds ground into very fine powder.
- Two-layer paper bags containing mustard powder.
If it is not possible to purchase mustard plasters in a pharmacy, they are not difficult to make at home. To do this, mix mustard powder and flour in equal proportions. Gradually adding warm water to the mixture, a gruel is obtained, which is laid out on prepared paper sheets or on fabric. Layer thickness should not exceed 5 mm. The mustard paste is also covered with a layer of paper or cloth.
Self-prepared mustard plasters are not stored, but are immediately used for medical procedures. It must be remembered that homemade compresses have a stronger effect, so you need to monitor their use more carefully.
It is impossible to use prepared product forms of mustard (mustard sauces) for medicinal purposes.
Features of the application of mustard plasters when coughing for children
For children suffering from cough, special mustard plasters are produced, with a lower concentration of active components. They are small square bags of macropan. Material reliably holds mustard powder, easily takes the form of a body. Some companies' products are covered with foil to enhance the warming effect.
Before setting mustard plasters, prepare your child for the procedure. Remember, with crying and vagaries, the cough increases, body temperature rises, which reduces the effectiveness of the method. So that the baby is not afraid, put one mustard plate on his arm or leg, and while warming up the bronchi, lie down with him, read him a book or watch a cartoon.
What additional materials are needed?
In order to correctly put mustard plasters when coughing for children, you should have at hand:
- a container with warm 45-degree water,
- gauze or a napkin in case of rather sensitive skin of the patient,
- terry towel to enhance the action of mustard plasters,
- a blanket for wrapping the baby during the procedure,
- a greasy cream to lubricate the area of the skin on which the mustard paste was stuck if it turns red.
How to make mustard leaves yourself
Sometimes there are situations when there are no mustard plasters at hand, and the pharmacy is closed. In almost every house, and in the nearest store there is always mustard powder, from which you can quickly prepare a kind of mustard.
To do this, 1 tablespoon of mustard is mixed with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and 1 tablespoon of water. Gruel is applied to parchment paper or dense tissue, applied to the body.
According to this recipe, a "thermonuclear" mustard is obtained, which can be put only by adults.
For a milder action, this recipe is suitable: mix 1 spoonful of mustard, melted honey and oil (or fat), paste the paste on the skin, cover with wax paper on top.
Burning will not be strong, so you can even keep up to 4-6 hours.
For children, it is better to make a “weakened” mustard cake: 1 tablespoon of mustard, oil and honey is kneaded with 3 tablespoons of flour, rolled out a cake and applied to the body, covered with paper or film.
How effective are mustard plasters for children
Mustard oil, which is found in mustard plasters, affects the nerve endings of the skin and improves blood circulation. If there are no contraindications, mustard wraps can be set even by the smallest. To do this, you must prepare a solution of mustard: 0.5 liters of warm water per 1 tablespoon of mustard. In the solution, you need to moisten the towel, squeeze it and wrap the baby. After this, cover the child with a sheet and a blanket. In this position, he should lie for five minutes. After this, it is necessary to rinse the child, put on clothes made from natural fabrics and put to sleep. Four treatments are enough to stop a cough.
In children, the skin is delicate and thin, so it is better to put mustard plasters through a thin tissue. Otherwise, burns may occur. Before you put a mustard plaster, it must be shaken in a horizontal position. The powder in the chambers should be evenly distributed. After that, it is necessary to lower it for 20 seconds in warm water and apply it to the body. In order to keep warm, put a towel and a blanket on top of the patient.
When coughing, mustard plasters are placed on the back under the shoulder blades and between them, and in front on the chest. It is necessary to ensure that mustard plasters are not put on the heart. Children from one to three years old put them on two minutes. Adults - for ten minutes or more. Mustard plasters cannot be put on a day more than twice.
For a long time, mustard plasters have been used in the treatment of cough. This method is not only the cheapest, but also the most effective. Mustard plasters are used for coughing, bronchitis, pneumonia, laryngotracheitis, headache and neuralgia.
Mustard must not be used by people with hypersensitivity, asthma, psoriasis, neurodermatitis and tumors.
In order to make mustard, use black and bluish mustard. Seeds are degreased and crushed. Mustard packages and mustard plasters should be bought at drugstores. Some make mustard plasters at home, for this you need to mix mustard powder with flour or starch and add warm water. It should be something like a dough. Seven spread on paper and covered with gauze. After everything is dry, you can begin to heal.
Some runny nose are treated with mustard plasters. To do this, wrap them to the feet with a flannel fabric and put on woolen socks. The procedure lasts two hours, after which it is necessary to remove everything and put on the socks again. It is better to be treated before bedtime.
Other mustard warming treatments
When the first symptoms of respiratory diseases appear, you can do mustard foot baths. This procedure warms the body, dilates blood vessels, activates the immune system. To carry it out, follow these steps:
- draw water 40-45 ° into the basin,
- add mustard powder to it,
- warm your legs for 30 minutes,
- during the session pour hot water from the kettle into the basin,
- wipe your feet dry, put on warm socks,
- drink herbal tea
- go to bed under a warm blanket.
Baths with mustard help cope only in the first hours of a cold. In the midst of illness, they are useless and even harmful.
Children can wear cotton socks with mustard powder inside. Check that the baby’s feet are dry, free from scratches, wounds and other injuries. After a night's sleep, rinse your feet, thoroughly dry them with a towel.
Mustard wraps help cope with a wet cough. Warming procedures dilute sputum, enhance expectorant action. To conduct them, mix mustard, flour, vegetable oil, water in equal proportions. Warm the mixture to room temperature, put it between the layers of fabric.
Wrap your back with this fabric, fasten with cling film, and cover yourself with a warm blanket. After 35-40 minutes, remove the tissue, and then stay in bed for at least one more hour.
Step-by-step instructions - how to put on the chest, on the back, on the legs
The maximum effect of the procedure with mustard plasters will be achieved if you put them to the child before bedtime. Regardless of the part of the body, the principle of applying a compress is the same. The main thing is to avoid the above organs. Step by step, this process is as follows:
- carefully take the mustard plaster and dip it in a bowl of pre-heated water to a temperature of 45 degrees,
- we wait while the mustard plaster lies in the water for about 15-20 seconds,
- we take it out of the water and put it on the chest / back / calves of the legs, depending on the type of illness of the baby,
- cover the place of the compress with a towel and slightly press down the mustard,
- waiting for the required amount of time - it all depends on the age of the child,
- carefully remove the mustard plaster,
- wipe the place where the compress was with a towel,
- when redness appears at the location of the mustard plaster, smear it with a fat cream,
- put the child under the covers for at least an hour.
After the procedure, the child may aggravate the cough. This means that as a result of warming with mustard plasters, all the accumulated mucus begins to leave the lungs. At the end of the treatment, it will not hurt to drink warm tea with raspberry jam, linden and lemon.
Replace mustard with mustard
You can treat cough in a child using mustard baths. To do this, you must:
- pour water of a comfortable temperature into a basin,
- pour 2 tablespoons of mustard powder there,
- the child should be dipped in the solution of the feet and wrapped in a blanket,
- as the water cools, you need to pour hot from the kettle,
- feet should be soared for about 20 minutes or before the burning of the skin of the feet begins,
- After completing the procedure, you need to wipe your feet dry and put on warm socks.
Pharmacological action and group
The effect of mustard plasters is based on a locally irritating effect on certain areas of the skin. Reflex reactions of the body that occur in response to irritation activate protective systems, have an anesthetic effect, and increase blood circulation at the site of exposure.
The irritation that causes the response of nerve endings is explained by the effect on the skin of essential oil in large quantities contained in mustard seeds. It is believed that such a reaction of the body enhances metabolic processes by activating blood circulation, and stimulates the immune system.
Local temperature increase accelerates sputum removal during coughing.
Mustard plasters belong to medicines containing essential oils, and are used not only for colds.
Types of outdoor applications
It is important to understand that mustard plasters are relatively safe remedies. Under certain conditions (susceptibility to allergic reactions, hypersensitivity of the skin), such treatment can harm the child's body. Therefore, before using a dry compress, it is better to consult with a specialized specialist of a medical institution.
First of all, you need to understand what a mustard plaster is and how it works. In a classic form, an external application is a sheet of thick paper impregnated with a layer of special yellow powder.
In addition to this type of dry compress, you can buy waterproof fabric bags filled with various natural ingredients in the pharmacy (in addition to mustard, add red pepper, eucalyptus, ginseng, flax) or paper pockets with the active ingredient.
Indications for use and principle of action of mustard plasters
Most often, external applications are used to treat dry cough in a child and reduce the risk of complications of respiratory infections of the respiratory system.
In the medical literature there is also a mention that mustard plasters can be successfully used for the treatment of bruises, bruises and bruises.
Some pediatricians recommend putting dry compresses on the patient's legs when he has throat swelling.
Mustard plasters have antispasmodic, vasodilating, anti-inflammatory properties. Heated components of the agent enter the bloodstream and have an irritating effect, activating the work of phagocytes (fighting infection, virus).
It should be noted that vitamin complexes and useful minerals are added to the composition of the application impregnation, which enhance the child’s immunity.
Mustard oil dissolved in essential oils chemically irritates epidermal cells. A slight inflammation is good for the body. The protective system responds to this effect by increasing blood flow, expanding the lumen of the bronchi. This action facilitates the discharge of sputum and reduces pain.
Limitations of Using Dry Compresses
Any therapeutic effect has a number of contraindications. The use of mustard plasters for coughing in children is no exception to this rule.
When the use of an external agent can be harmful to health:
- the use of warming applications at high temperature in a child,
- putting a compress on damaged skin (any kind of epidermal defects - cuts, ulcers, irritation, rash),
- the use of mustard powder for individual intolerance to such a component.
Sometimes parents try to quickly cure their baby and put mustard plasters on coughing too often. Excessively intense exposure can cause tissue burns or spasm of the larynx.
At the pediatrician’s appointment, the question often arises: at what age can you put mustard plasters on a child? It is believed that the procedure is relatively harmless, but has its limitations. Children under 2 years of age are not allowed to treat with this type of dry compress. Older babies (3-5 years old) should apply the application on the skin with extreme caution, using olive oil, a softening cream.
Mustard is a plant that has a fairly strong aggressive effect. Use mustard essential oils to treat children with extreme caution.
It is important to know that any essential oil, and even more so, with such a pronounced effect, is a potential allergen.
Both the smell of mustard and its effect on the skin can cause an allergic reaction, which is especially dangerous for babies.
In addition, it is necessary to take into account the characteristics of the child's body: the skin of the child is much more sensitive than that of an adult. Irritation or burn is a very realistic prospect when using mustard plasters for small patients.
If this treatment procedure is nevertheless applied in case of a child’s disease, the following rules must be considered:
- Mustard plasters are not allowed in the treatment of babies under the age of two years.
- Preschool children apply a mustard compress only through a double layer of gauze.
- It is necessary to carefully monitor the condition of the child during the procedure.
- It is important to observe the exact time of treatment.
Herpetic tonsillitis in children - what are the specifics of the treatment of this disease
For children under 6 years old, the mustard plaster is put on only one or two minutes. Older children can extend the procedure up to 5-10 minutes. But it is necessary to monitor the condition of the skin under the mustard. If redness and burning are too strong - the compress must be removed immediately.
Some pediatricians believe that it is only possible to treat colds and the consequences of viral infections with mustard plasters only after a child reaches the age of six.
How and where to put mustard plasters for cough
In order not to harm the child, it is important to know where you can not put warming compresses.In medical directories it is indicated that mustard plasters and other types of external agents with an irritating effect are forbidden to apply to the spine, heart, nipples. Allowed areas of application are legs, back, chest.
Instructions for use of mustard plasters for cough in children:
- Before use, the bag must be shaken thoroughly to evenly distribute the active component over the entire area.
- The mustard plaster falls for a short time in warm (about 40 ° C) water and after that it is placed on the problem area of the child’s body.
- The area of impact of compresses is covered with a "breathing" tissue. You can use a woolen scarf, a cotton towel.
- The cough treatment procedure takes 5-15 minutes, depending on the age of the child and the severity of the disease.
- At the end of the manipulation, the place of heating of the skin is cleaned of the remnants of the drug and wiped dry.
Such use of mustard plasters rarely causes side effects and does not complicate the course of the disease.
Possible complications caused by the drug
Complications that arise after the use of mustard plasters may be associated with non-compliance with the rules for their use. First of all, these are chemical burns and other types of skin irritation. If the frequency of the procedure is too high, a manifestation of hyperpigmentation of the skin is observed. Allergic reactions are dangerous in case of individual intolerance to mustard essential oils.
A serious consequence of this type of treatment will be an exacerbation of diseases in which the use of mustard plasters is contraindicated.
Despite the fact that mustard plasters have long been considered a simple and effective means of getting rid of many ailments, their use can instead of the expected recovery bring additional problems or even aggravate the patient's condition.
Many doctors believe that the therapeutic result of the use of mustard plasters is exaggerated, and their use has a more "psychological" effect, especially when it comes to respiratory diseases manifested in the form of a dry paroxysmal cough.
But even if the patient and his doctor are sure that mustard compresses are a reliable and time-tested auxiliary method of treating various diseases, treating this remedy as absolutely safe is unacceptable. The desired result can be expected only if you follow the rules of application and take into account possible contraindications.
How else can you use mustard cough powder in a child
Many people make mustard plasters on their own at home. This is not difficult to do - to prepare the active mixture you will need directly seasoning and wheat flour. These components are mixed in a 1: 1 ratio and diluted in ordinary warm water (up to 50 ° C). The resulting slurry is laid out between layers of porous paper.
Such a compress can immediately be placed on the chest, back or feet of the child.
On thematic forums, you can find parents' advice on the use of warming baths. To prepare the right solution, you need 3-4 tablespoons of powder and 5-7 liters of warm water. In such a pleasant mixture you need to steam your legs for 10-15 minutes. After the procedure, it is important to wear woolen socks or cover yourself with a blanket.
Another popular way to use mustard powder is wraps. To ease coughing, it is necessary to wrap the baby’s chest with gauze, a diaper soaked in a therapeutic solution. The exposure time is 5-7 minutes. After this, wipe the skin of the baby dry to avoid the appearance of severe redness and itching.
Specialists (pediatricians, pulmonologists, infectious disease specialists) recommend taking mustard plasters seriously. Before you put a dry compress, it is important to make sure that the drug has not expired.Otherwise, using the application is strictly prohibited in order to avoid an allergic reaction and increase laryngeal edema.
It will be useful to know that an open package of mustard plasters should be stored in the refrigerator. Reuse of the application is strictly prohibited. Before starting the procedure, you should definitely prepare a cream, emollient oil and a warm towel. After performing the manipulations, the baby's skin may turn red - you should not worry about this, the irritation disappears within 2-3 days.
Mustard plasters are rarely used as the main component of therapeutic actions. A natural remedy is not able to completely eliminate a dry cough in a child. Usually dry compresses are offered as one of the components of a complex effect on the patient's body.
In what cases can not be put mustard plasters?
Any drug with uncontrolled intake can be not only ineffective, but also dangerous. This also applies to mustard plasters. Since such drugs have an irritating effect, they have a number of contraindications and conditions when they should be used with caution.
The most important criterion for using mustard plasters is body temperature of the patient. If it exceeds 37 degrees Celsius by at least two tenths, the procedure should be postponed. After all, the warming effect will affect the whole body, as a result of which irreversible changes in the cardiovascular and nervous system (from collapse to heart attacks and strokes) can occur.
Also, due to the spasmodic effect that mustard plasters have on the smooth muscles of the bronchi, such drugs cannot be used for asthma or pulmonary tuberculosis. Otherwise, they can cause asthma attacks, asphyxiation.
In the presence of neurodermatitis, disorders of the dermatological profile, psoriasis, eczema or mechanical damage to the integumentary tissues can not be used.
Another absolute contraindication to the use of mustard plasters - the presence of benign and malignant tumors. Their effect can provoke growth and metastasis, respectively.
Very carefully recommended apply to people with sensitive skin complicated by an allergic history.
To determine whether they can be placed with mustard packets, you should try to apply a little wet mustard powder on a covered area of the skin (for example, on the forearm from the outside).
In case of hyperreaction of integumentary tissues, the procedure should be canceled, and the place of the sample washed with soap.
What cough is mustard for?
Mustard can be used for all types of cough. They increase sputum discharge. Therefore, even putting mustard plasters with a dry cough, it can become wet, which has a beneficial effect on the state of the respiratory tract.
In addition, irritated nerve endings cause a number of other physiological reactions. One of them is a large-scale release of histamine, kinins and prostaglandins in the zone of action.
These substances make the vascular walls permeable to immune agents and provoke the release of adrenaline. They also cause smooth muscle contraction.
The action of mustard plasters on the body
Bags with mustard powder are external products. They warm the skin, increase blood circulation in a separate area. In the production of such plasters, mustard seeds are dried, peeled and finely ground. This is done in order to release the two main active ingredients - the glycoside of serginine and the enzyme myrosine, which breaks down this glycoside.
In the process of such a reaction, the following components are obtained:
- glucose is a by-product that nourishes surface tissues,
- potassium hydrosulfate - just soluble in water, has no special effect,
- allyl isothiocyanate - an essential oil that has an irritating effect on the skin.
But such a decay occurs only in the presence of water.In the dry state, the substances do not react, retaining their drug effect. That is why mustard plasters are important to store in places where moisture does not penetrate. In general, the shelf life is from eight to eleven months.
Under the influence of mustard oil, the intradermal nerve endings are irritated. This leads to vasodilation, local strengthening of the supply of blood and lymph tissues.
Externally, this condition can be determined within five minutes after the patient began to keep mustard plasters on the skin. The integument will turn red and hot.
If this time is increased, most likely, the powder is already wet, and the concentration of active substances has fallen.
Modern mustard plasters produce in two forms - rubber plasters and cellulose bags resembling tea in structure. When using, the second type is much more convenient to use, because after them no irritating particles of powder remain on the skin.
Note! Regardless of the form of release and disease, mustard must be used strictly according to the instructions for use. You should also remember that self-medication can be dangerous to your health. Therefore, before you put mustard plasters, consult your doctor. In addition, it is worthwhile to study in detail the indications and contraindications.
Where to put mustard plasters when coughing for adults - instructions
All medicines are important to use correctly. This will achieve a quick recovery. To achieve the greatest effect, mustard must be correctly placed on the body. Specific positions may vary, depending on the diagnosis. After all, some diseases affect the upper respiratory tract, while others affect the lower sections.
Mustard on the chest
There are general patterns of the correct formulation of mustard when coughing on the chest and back. If they are followed, you can achieve the maximum effect.
Points of correct placement of packages on the chest are shown. Please note that with respiratory diseases, mustard plasters cannot be placed on the heart area.
Mustard plasters on the back
Some experts recommend putting mustard plasters on the heel area. This is good advice for people with thin skin or various irritations in the back. After all, it is on the feet that there are many reflexogenic zones that activate different centers of the nervous system, including those responsible for the function of the respiratory system.
The dotted illustration shows the correct arrangement of mustard packets on the back.
For reference. Doctors practicing alternative treatment methods recommend putting mustard plasters on the palm area under the thumb.
Thus, if you use mustard for coughing, instructions and consultation with your doctor should be the first sources of information for you. After all, this is really an effective tool, if applied wisely and under the supervision of a specialist.
It’s also important to understand that mustard plasters are not a panacea. Along with their use, it is necessary to use other drugs to get rid of the disease in a comprehensive manner.
Attentive attitude to each method of treatment, a detailed study of all the indications and contraindications will not only allow you to save on unnecessary drugs, but also protect you from dangerous effects.