Fish is an extremely healthy product. Her meat has an inexhaustible source of many vitamins and a number of minerals. It should be noted the excellent digestibility of fish protein.
A special role is played by omega-3 acids, which are indispensable for the human body. It is this factor that determines the recommendations of nutritionists to certainly include fish dishes in the daily diet.
However, expensive species of fish are not affordable for everyone, but simply fish fragments fried in vegetable oil quickly get bored. An excellent alternative in this case would be fish cakes, a lot of various recipes which take place today.
Fillet of thawed, chopped and thoroughly washed fish is carefully removed from the bone.
With the help of a meat grinder, fish meat is ground. A raw egg is added to the container, ground with onion through the same meat grinder and the loaf crumb freed from the crust. The ingredients are seasoned with selected spices.
All components of the minced meat are carefully mixed to a state of homogeneous mass.
A small amount of any vegetable oil is heated in a pan over medium heat.
Hands soaked in warm water form fish cakes, which are generously rolled in breadcrumbs on all sides.
Cutlets are fried for several minutes on each side until golden brown.
A good side dish to such cutlets will be mashed potatoes or any vegetables.
Cooking delicious fish cakes: secrets and tricks
Minced fish cutlets - this is a very mouth-watering, dietary, tender dish. It seems that there is nothing easier than chopping fish fillets, mixing with the right products and making delicious fish cakes that children will love, even if they don’t like fish. However, there are subtleties in cooking technology, which we will talk about.
Fish cutlets "Monastic"
Delicate, juicy, tasty cutlets. Perfectly keep their shape, there is no specific smell inherent in fish. Such cutlets are enjoyed with pleasure even by children. The recipe is simple, budget. Without false modesty, I will say that these are perhaps some of the most delicious fish cakes. Help yourself.
Pollock has a similar structure and taste to hake, the vast majority of housewives prefer to use meat for cooking homemade fish cakes.
For a family dinner of this breed of fish you need:
- Pollock fillet - 0.5 kg,
- milk - 0.5 tbsp.,
- egg - 1 pc.,
- city bun without peel - 50 g,
- breadcrumbs - a couple of tablespoons,
- vegetable oil - 0.5 tbsp.,
- sea salt and spices - a quarter teaspoon each.
The process of preparing cutlets begins with soaking the rolls in milk.
Having waited for its softening, the roll together with the fish fillet is twisted in a meat grinder.
Egg and spices are introduced into the resulting stuffing, after which they are thoroughly kneaded with hands in a container.
The round or oval cutlets formed with wet hands are crushed in breadcrumbs and placed in a pan-heated butter and fried on both sides to a light brown crust.
Choosing fish for cutlets
What kind of fish is better to make fish cakes from? Fish can be any, the main condition is that it must be fresh and of high quality. There are many signs of freshness of the fish - it smells nice, its gills are red or pink, not gray and brown, the mucus on the carcass is transparent and not sticky. The eyes of a good fish are convex, clear and transparent, and the scales are tight to the body, and it is not so easy to separate with your hands. The fish abdomen should be transparent and flat, if it swollen and covered with suspicious spots, then the fish in front of you is not the first freshness. Foreign spots on the fish are often a sign of infection with parasites. There is an easy way to check the degree of freshness of a fish - lower it into water: fresh fish will sink, and spoiled fish will float up. Professional chefs use another method - they pierce the carcass of a fish with a hot knife, and if an unpleasant odor appears, it means that the fish is stale.
Fishcakes are made from river, sea and lake fish of medium fat, although the fat content of cutlets can be reduced or increased - just cut off the excess fat on the carcass or add lard or butter to the minced meat. By the way, larger fish make juicier meatballs than small fish.
What fish to make cutlets from - choose fish
Firstly, in order for the cutlets to be aromatic and healthy, it is important to choose the right fish for freshness. If the fish product has any extraneous odor or the carcasses are badly damaged, you should not take such a product for cutlets.
Now about what kind of fish is most suitable for cooking cutlets.
In this case, fish of various types — sea, river, lake — is different, here everything will depend on human preferences. A great choice for cutlets is halibut, pelengasius, pollock, pink salmon, cod, pike fillet. The main thing is to give preference to low-fat and not too dry sort of fish, that’s the whole secret of choice.
Do not be upset if you took too dry or vice versa oily fish. In the first case, you can add a little fat to the dish, and in the second, on the contrary, cut off the excess fat.
In addition, larger fish should be chosen for cutlets. In this case, you can easily remove the bones from the carcass, plus it is not necessary to grind it into minced meat, you can simply chop it into small pieces.
If in the nearest store or on the market there are no large fish, I advise you to pass small carcasses through the meat grinder 2-3 times no less. So all the bones are well grinded and will not spoil the taste of cutlets.
Secrets of fishcakes
The minced fish is delicate and delicate. And liquid. From it, maybe fry pancakes. Either cutlets break up, or dry - not a thankful job, huh? I share the secrets of splendor and height. Or thickness :)
0. Choose the fish. Dry varieties are the best. From cod, pollock, hake, flounder to blue whiting and the Black Sea goby (by the way, a simple, almost weedy fish - but very tasty. I really like it). Good for pike cutlets.
But the fatty varieties - you can’t mix the minced meat with them :) The paradox, but the better the fish, and in the gastronomic plan - the more valuable, the worse the meatballs. However, the breed :), i.e. the variety is not important - it is important that the meat is dry. And with few bones. Or with thin bones.
Advice! With small bones (those that are very thin and transparent), a blender can handle it. And a meat grinder. They can not be removed.
Do not believe Prepare-ke? And do an experiment: skip two times (although often enough once) through a meat grinder fillets with a small number of seeds. Or a goby. Or blue whiting.
And when blended, we do get fish mousse - without a hint of bone remains. By the way, the Japanese make pies with pits. And let them into fish fingers. There are a lot of calcium, phosphorus and other trace elements. In cutlets, after grinding, they will not be - you can not worry. And do not stock up on filet :)
1. Bread issue. The classic definition of "cutlet" in cooking allows up to 40% of bread. When I talked about meatballs, I said why. Bread is not needed for volume. This is a misconception. It helps to keep meat juice, binds minced meat. Without it, it is either a rough sole (sorry), or a bad steak - not a cutlet.
Attention! The bread should be dry. Tips to soak, and even in milk - it's time to forget them. These are anisovets.
Wet bread will not take moisture - the stuffing will be liquid. And milk protein accelerates the coagulation of meat protein - i.e. folding. When folding protein, the meat fibers become stiff, coarse. Products are not juicy, not lush - dry. And not tasty :) Total - add dry white bread. How much - from 20 to 40% of the total volume of minced meat.
Crackers - they are well cramped, and this is a great option. But forgotten and found crackers are evil: they can give sourness. The bread may be dry, but it must be fresh.
2. Egg question. There is no forcemeat without an egg - we are so used to it. Yes, the egg holds together. But also makes the products tough. This is a protein - it accelerates coagulation. The culinary luminaries were divided into two camps: some against eggs in minced meat, others in favor. But in small numbers - they compromise. For 400 g of minced meat, 1 egg is more than enough.
Advice! How to replace an egg. Flax-seed. Brew 2 tbsp. boiling water - 100 g is enough. Cover - but not tight. We wait, stirring, until a sticky jelly forms. Pour into the stuffing. Will not be liquid - do not worry.
The second option is starch. For 300-400 g 1 tsp. without a slide. Cutlets will not break up - checked by Prepot.
Does it taste - I did not notice. I am an opponent of starch: I'm afraid that it will give rubber. And not sure if this is useful. Although we drink jelly? A spoon in cutlets will not hurt. And not felt. However, cutlets and frozen berries for the pie - the only one where I use it. For berries - so that the juice is gelled and does not wet the crumb. The main thing is the quantity :)
3. Alcohol. Why add minced vodka or cognac. For fluffing minced meat. Evaporating, they raise the cutlets to the very lid :) It's a joke, but seriously - it helps to fry lush cutlets very well. You think it will be liquid no. Alcohol evaporates quickly.
4. The consistency of minced meat. Density - we are trying to bring it closer to the cutlet due to bread - but not more than 40%. I put about 1 / or a pinch less. If liquid, a spoon or a spoonful of flour is used to help breadcrumbs. Knead the minced meat to the consistency so that the products can be shaped with your hands - wet. Wet does not stick. Just turn on a thin stream of water or place a bowl of water next to it. Wet fingers, and form.
Advice! For fat and taste, juiciness and splendor - add a piece of fat. For 500 g of meat, 100 g is enough. Sala good - dense.
5. Onion. A bow is needed. There is no taste without it. And a couple of chops of garlic. Chop the garlic finely - otherwise it will burn and give a not-so-tasty smell. Onions - so as not to give a lot of juice, also finely chopped into cubes.
You can skip through the meat grinder, but. Although mother's cutlets - they are always with meat-chopped onions. In mother-in-law - with chopped. I am between two onions: I cook when it’s like :)
6. Fat. It is better to fry in refractory oil, in thick. Corn, sesame, proven sunflower. Olive - thick and refractory.
What does refractory mean - it burns out a little, has a high boiling point. Products are fried at a higher temperature. And a little burning.
Better yet fry animal fat. On lard, on fat with a small amount of fiber. They are very suitable - they do not fade, they give a good aroma. And they do not compete with the true fishy smell at all, do not interrupt it.
Attention! Breading is optional. But desirable. We form products with wet hands - and in crackers. Larger. Or flour. Although to be honest, I don’t really like to pan - and they’re so good :) But with breading, it’s better. It will protect against overcooking, give juiciness. How?
If you look at the macro shot, the patty is raised on small crackers - it is fried without losing its juiciness.
The breading is fried - and it gives time to fry the minced meat inside. And does not let it become dry - this is a suit of cutlets :)
7. Temperature. Fry over moderate heat, spread on a hot pan. Do not flip often. It’s possible to peek if the barrel is reddened :) But not often - we do not lower the temperature. The second side I fry under the lid. And there is a crust, and not overcooked, fried inside. The lid slightly open - so as not to steam. It is important not to change the power of the fire - the meat lets the juice out at temperature jumps: cutlets will become dry, will float in a puddle.
Advice! If you do not want to fool your head. Cook cutlets from boiled, stewed or baked fish. Stuffing will never be liquid. Products are formed in perfect shape, perfectly fried. And it tastes perfect :) I cooked from boiled pike and baked cod, from boiled blue whiting - great cutlets. By the way, it’s easy to extract bones :)
Delicious cod cutlets
Cod is considered low-calorie, which means diet fish. It is very well absorbed and saturates the body with amino acids and B vitamins.
Cutlets from this type of fish can be successfully cooked both in a frying pan, and in the oven or in a double boiler.
To prepare several servings of cutlets, you must have:
- cod fillet - 600 g,
- large onion
- a quarter cup of milk
- a couple of slices of white bread,
- 0.5 tbsp. flour
- 0.5 tsp ground ginger and basil,
- vegetable oil for frying.
Cod fillet is ground in a blender along with a peeled onion.
Pre-soaked in milk bread is squeezed and added to the container with minced meat.
The ingredients are salted, seasoned, mixed with the egg and left in the refrigerator for an hour.
After the indicated time, having filtered out the formed liquid, cutlets are formed and, cut off in flour, fried for 3-5 minutes in heated oil.
As an alternative to bread and milk, you can use breadcrumbs. In addition, cod cutlets with a finely chopped bunch of fresh herbs, such as dill, will have a special taste and aroma.
Fish cutlets "Favorite"
How old this recipe I can’t even imagine. Precisely that he is much older than me. Such cutlets were prepared by my grandmother exclusively on big holidays. Juicy, tender, unusually tasty fish cakes. Beloved ones. Because from childhood.
Some secrets of cooking minced fish
How to cook boneless fish cakes? Agree, it’s unpleasant to get the bones out of the cutlets, and besides, you can choke on them. For this reason, for cutlets most often take large fish, it is easier to remove bones from it. However, many housewives grind small fish together with bones - it is believed that if you pass it through a meat grinder several times, the bones are crushed and imperceptible in minced meat. However, this is a matter of taste, so the best way to save yourself from unnecessary work is to buy ready-made fillets. You can not grind the fish, but just finely chop it with a knife - this is how juicier fish cakes are obtained, and there is no need to mess with kitchen appliances.
What else is added to fish cakes besides the fish itself? There is a standard list of ingredients - eggs, onions, bread soaked in water, garlic, salt and spices. Lemon juice, semolina, raw potatoes or other vegetables, such as carrots, cabbage and zucchini, are also added to homemade fish cakes - they make the meatballs juicy and tender. At the same time, minced meat with semolina must be infused so that the cereal swells. For juiciness, cream, mayonnaise or pork lard, rolled through a meat grinder, are also used. Some cooks put 1 tsp per 1 kg of fish for piquancy. honey. There are also very original recipes, where in the minced meat there is cheese, apples, cottage cheese, minced meat, rice, barley, oatmeal or mushrooms. Sometimes cutlets are made not from fresh, but from smoked fish or using seafood - crayfish, squid and even crab sticks. As they say, they don’t argue about tastes!
How to cook minced fish, what can be added to cutlets
The taste and juiciness of fish cakes will directly depend on the minced meat from which the dish is prepared. In order to make good minced fish, it is important to know a few secrets of its preparation.
- You can add a variety of ingredients to your taste in minced meat for fish cakes. It can be milk, cabbage, carrots, all kinds of spices and cereals. But the main components of a good tasty minced fish always remain bread, eggs and water.
- Before starting to form cutlets, add bread to the minced meat, which is soaked for five minutes in cold water or in a mixture of water with white wine. In this case, you do not need to squeeze the bread before adding, then roll it together with the liquid in a meat grinder and you're done.
- Be sure to add eggs to the cutlet mass. Remember, eggs are a binder in this case, which holds together the ingredients (bread, water, cereals, if you add them). The fish, passed through a meat grinder, turns out to be quite liquid and does not bond well with the other components, and therefore eggs are required here. With them, the forcemeat turns out uniform, and the cutlets are more juicy and tasty.
- For juiciness, you can add a little grated potatoes or a couple of spoons of fat cream to the fish mass.
- From cereals to minced fish, you can add semolina, oatmeal or a little buckwheat to your taste. Of vegetables, carrots, onions and cabbage are most suitable for this dish.
- For cooking more savory and original cutlets, you can add cottage cheese, fried onions, grated apples, garlic, greens to the mass for frying.
- As for spices, here is an amateur, but salt and black pepper in a dish should be present in any case. In addition to them, you can add a little ground coriander, dried thyme or basil.
How to cook fish cutlets in the oven
Fish cakes already belong to the category of healthy dishes. Being cooked in the oven, they acquire the status of, undoubtedly, a dietary dish. This is because cooking in the oven does not use vegetable oil or other fats, which are usually absorbed into the flour or breadcrumbs as the meatballs are cooked.
For the preparation of meatballs in the oven, it is recommended to give preference to several varieties of cod fish, among which pollock or hake are especially popular. Juicy cutlets come out of salmon. A harmonious combination of several types of fish in one forcemeat can take place.
To implement a successful recipe for meatballs in the oven, you should use:
- low-fat and oily fish in a ratio of 7: 1,
- carrots -1 pc.,
- onion - 1 pc.,
- olive oil - 1 tablespoon,
- oatmeal - 5 tablespoons,
- spices and salt.
The cleaned and thoroughly washed fish are dried.
The boneless fillet is ground and mixed.
Vegetables processed using either a meat grinder or a blender are added to the pulp.
The last of the ingredients is cereal, salt and spices.
The mixed components of the minced meat are left for a third of an hour so that the oatmeal swells and grows in size.
Meanwhile, the oven is heated to 180 degrees, and the baking sheet necessary for cooking is greased with olive oil.
Formed after the allotted time cutlets are placed on a baking sheet, which is sent to the center of the oven for 20 minutes.
How to fry fish cakes
It is better to knead the minced fish with your hands. Before you start making cutlets, cool the minced meat so that it is softer, more uniform and tasty, and before forming the cutlets, wet your hands with cold water or use a chilled spoon.
A very important point in the preparation of fish cakes is the preservation of their shape and frying. In order for the cutlets not to fall apart in the pan, they are rolled in breading, which is made from crackers, starch, wheat, rye, rice or any other flour. Sometimes bran with dried herbs or semolina is used, and before brewing cutlets are dipped in a beaten egg. You can do without breading, but in this case put the patties in a very hot pan to form a golden crust.
Cutlets are fried on both sides, and then let them reach under a covered lid on minimal heat. You can add some broth with spices to the pan and stew to make the dish more juicy and tender. Cutlets can be baked in the oven, in a slow cooker, hot grill or cook them in a double boiler. Especially tasty fish cakes are obtained if you first fry them in a pan, and then bake in the oven with sour cream and cheese.
Secrets and tricks on how to fry or stew fish cakes
What you add to minced fish now you know, but how to cook the cutlets themselves so that they are juicy, crispy, fragrant, mouth-watering? And to get the fish cakes correct and tasty, I give some more advice.
To make the refreshment juicy, regardless of whether you fry the dish or cook in the oven, put a small ice floe and a tiny piece of butter in the center of each formed fish patty.
The molded specimens are important to roll first before frying or baking, first in flour, then in an egg spread to a froth and in breadcrumbs. This will save all the juices inside the product. Instead of flour, breadcrumbs can be used in this case. The last layer can be excluded, it will depend on your taste preferences.
Put the meat patties in a pan or baking sheet only after preheating the vegetable oil in them well. At the same time, you should not add too much oil, as cutlets quickly absorb all the fat and turn out, so to speak, not very useful.
First, the fish product should be fried on one side and the other on high heat. Then the fire is reduced, the pan is covered with a lid and the dish is cooked on one and the second side for about 5-12 minutes more (depending on size).
A simple recipe for fish patties in the oven
Your attention is given an original recipe for fish cutlets, cooked not in a skillet, but baked in the oven. They are not cooked in butter, and oatmeal is added to the stuffing, so the dish will be dietary and even children will like it.
- Fish fillet - 0.5 kg.
- Oatmeal - ½ tbsp.
- Egg - 1 pc.
- Onions - 1 pc.
- Milk - ½ tbsp.
- Pepper and salt to taste.
- We clean the onion and cut it into several pieces.
- Pour oatmeal into a cup and fill it with warm milk for swelling.
- We wash the fish fillet with cold water, dry it with a towel and cut it into pieces.
- We twist the fish and onion in a meat grinder with a medium grill.
- Break the chicken into the resulting minced fish, transfer the oatmeal, drain the remaining milk, pour salt and pepper to taste.
- Stuffing mix well. If the minced meat turned out to be liquidish, then add to it 2-3 tbsp. l flour.
- With our hands moistened with water or vegetable oil, we form small cutlets from minced meat and roll them in breadcrumbs.
- Cutlets are placed on a baking sheet covered with baking paper.
- We bake cutlets in the oven at 200 ° C for 30–40 minutes.
- We prepare any side dish and sour cream-garlic sauce with fresh herbs for this dish.
- Beautifully lay out cutlets on plates and serve.
Canned fish cutlets
An extremely convenient and budget option of whipped fish cutlets are canned fish cutlets. This ingredient does not need pre-treatment for the preparation of minced meat. The antioxidants and betacarotene contained in the fish only enhance their beneficial properties during heat treatment.
To prepare this version of the fish dish for a family dinner you need:
- 1 can of canned food in oil (sardines, horse mackerel, tuna, mackerel),
- a pair of eggs
- 1 tbsp. semolina
- 2 tbsp sour cream of medium fat content,
- large onion,
Pieces of fish taken out of the can are carefully kneaded with a fork. Optionally, you can pre-remove the ridge.
At your discretion, you can leave the oil in which the canned food was stored for the minced meat.
Ground canned food thoroughly mixed with semolina.
Shredded onion, egg and sour cream are introduced into the container.
Ingredients are salted to your liking.
According to your preference, mince can be supplemented with chopped herbs.
For swelling semolina mince is set aside for a third of an hour.
The meatballs breaded with the same cereal are fried in refined vegetable oil, after which they are stewed for five minutes under a lid with a couple of tablespoons of water added to the pan.
What fish cutlets eat with
An excellent side dish for fish cakes is potatoes, vegetables, rice and pasta, and to improve the taste and originality of the dishes they are served with sauces. A successful sauce will not only diversify and improve the taste of the dish, but also turn it into a real delicacy. Gravy based on lemon juice, mayonnaise, sour cream, tomato paste and dry wine is suitable for fish.
The simplest sauce is prepared from 200 g of mayonnaise, 1 tsp. lemon juice, chopped dill, 1 tsp. sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Then it remains to mix 4 finely chopped pickles with mayonnaise, and the sauce is ready.
Try to cook a classic French sauce - it is also very tasty. To do this, 40 g of flour is fried in 30 g of butter until golden brown, and then 500 ml of fish broth is poured into the pan and the sauce is kneaded so that there are no lumps. Salt, pepper, egg yolk are added to the broth, the liquid is brought to a boil, immediately removed from the heat and 30 g of butter with half lemon juice is introduced into the cooled sauce. Pleasant acidity and spices enrich the taste of fish cutlets, and especially successful combinations are obtained with oregano, ginger, anise, basil, coriander, sage, fennel, thyme and tarragon.
How to serve fish cutlets
An excellent side dish for fish cakes is rice, boiled or mashed potatoes, stewed vegetables, pasta.
To give the dish a special sharpness and taste, sauce is also served on the fish cutlets. Successfully prepared in this case, the sauce can not only diversify the serving, but also make the dish itself an incredibly delicious delicacy.
Steamed diet fishcakes in a slow cooker
This recipe is intended for people in need of special diet food, as well as for small children. It does not use oil, rice or other additives. Stuffing can be made both from red fish, and from inexpensive varieties - hake, pollock and cod.
- Fish fillet - 0.8 kg.
- Egg - 1 pc.
- White bread - 6 slices.
- Onion - 2 pcs.
- Milk - ½ tbsp.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- In a separate bowl, soak the slices of white bread in milk, cutting off the crust from them.
- Peel the onions and cut them into pieces. If you have minced fish, chop the onion very finely.
- Wash the fish fillet and chop together with the onion in a meat grinder or in a blender bowl. You can cut the fish into very small pieces with a knife, cutlets will then be tastier.
- Squeeze out excess liquid from the minced meat with your hands.
- In the minced meat, put the soaked and squeezed white bread, beat the egg, sprinkle with salt and pepper to your taste. If the mince is still liquidy, sprinkle a couple of spoons of semolina or starch on it.
- Stir the minced meat well until smooth.
- Form small cutlets from the minced meat.
- When steaming, breading them is not necessary.
- Pour a glass of water into the multicooker bowl, put a leaf of laurel and a few peas of pepper and place a special lattice.
- Place all cutlets on the wire rack.
- Cook the cutlets in the "Stew" mode for half an hour.
- Serve these tender and light fishcakes with a side dish and fresh vegetable salad.
Sauces for fish cakes
Sauces with the addition of lemon juice, sour cream, cream, mayonnaise, dry wine and tomato paste are perfect in this case.
1. For example, a delicious French sauce. To prepare it, you need to mix the flour fried to a golden pleasant color in butter with fish broth. To enter into this composition, by the way, it should be homogeneous without lumps, egg yolk, a little pepper, salt, about 20 grams of oil. Bring everything to a boil, then flavor the sauce with lemon juice and let it cool before serving.
To taste, you can add a little thyme, basil, tarragon, fennel, sage, anise, ginger, oregano or coriander to the sauce.
2. Another recipe for fishcake sauce that I can offer is mayonnaise-based sauce. To prepare it, mix lemon juice (a teaspoon) with mayonnaise (180 ml.), Chopped fresh dill, a pinch of salt and pepper, half a teaspoon of sugar.
When this mass is ready, it will remain to add one or two pickled cucumbers finely chopped into it and everything is ready. You can serve with fish cutlets and enjoy the taste of the resulting dish.
3. Well, tomato sauce. To cook it, you should take a thick tomato paste (3 tablespoons), any ketchup to your taste (in the same amount as paste), fat sour cream (3 tablespoons), sifted flour or starch (1 spoon), 30 gr. butter, a little salt and any spices for fish.
Next, you need to heat the pan, fry the flour on a golden hue, combine with melted butter, mix. Introduce ketchup, tomato paste and sour cream to the existing ingredients, mix well (remember, there should be no lumps in the sauce), salt, add spices and 3-4 tablespoons of water, cover, bring to a boil and turn off.
Let the sauces cool and can be served. It is worth noting that such a sauce can be served separately, as well as pouring ready-made cutlets into the oven during cooking and serving directly with them, pouring the whole side dish with liquid mass.
I hope the tips come in handy and you get the most worthy fish cakes in the world. More detailed recipes will be later, I will surely pick up interesting ones. There will be recipes for pike cutlets and cooking them in the oven.
Eh, it will be necessary to catch a bigger pike, I wanted to hurt the cutlets!
Good luck and all the best!
Classic fish cakes
In Soviet times, such cutlets were served in canteens, so they cause nostalgia for many. Well, try to cook them. We take one pollock, separate the fish from the bones, twist the pulp in a meat grinder, add the egg, 2 finely chopped onions, 2 slices of loaf soaked in milk and 1 raw carrot chopped on a grater. We form patties, roll in breadcrumbs, fry in a pan and serve with mashed potatoes. This very simple, tasty and budget dish will be appreciated by busy housewives who do not want to deprive the family of full lunches and dinners during the work week.
A simple and delicious recipe for cod cutlets
In this recipe you are invited to cook cod meat patties. The meat of this fish is white, dense and does not contain small bones. Cutlets will turn out tender and without a pronounced fishy taste and smell. To prepare, take cod steaks and be sure to remove all the liquid after thawing.
- Cod steaks - 1 kg.
- White bread - 3 slices.
- Onion - 2 pcs.
- Flour - 4 tbsp. l
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Sunflower oil for frying.
- Place the cod steaks in a colander and a bowl and refrigerate overnight so that they defrost during this time and all the liquid in a glass bowl.
- Peel the onions and cut into medium pieces.
- For white bread or loaf, remove the crust and soak in warm water.
- Remove the peel and spinal bones of thawed fish.
- Using a blender or meat grinder, cook minced fish while chopping onions with it.
- Salt the minced meat, sprinkle with pepper to your taste and add well-wrung white bread to it.
- Stir the minced meat with your hands.
- Then, wetting your hands with cold water, form beautiful identical patties out of it.
- Be sure to roll the patties in flour or breadcrumbs.
- Fry the patties in hot sunflower oil for 3-4 minutes on each side. To cutlets well fried, it is advisable to turn them several times.
- Prepare sour cream sauce with fresh herbs for such patties and serve with any side dish.
Eat for health!
Finnish fishcakes recipe: what fish to cook from, what to add
In Finland, they love fish and eat it almost daily. In the culinary culture of this country there is a huge number of dishes from this product, each of which is laconic and has a great taste. Finnish fish cakes are a simple and very democratic recipe that is equally suitable for a casual meal and a festive feast.
IN Finnish has a special word for fish cakes - kalapullat.
Due to some features of pike meat, not every housewife undertakes to prepare cutlets from this fish. However, using the tips below, you can easily get tasty and juicy pike cutlets.
- Do not keep minced pike minced in the open air for a long time.
- Be sure to add pork fat to the pike minced meat, which guarantees the juiciness of cutlets. As an alternative to fat, butter is allowed.
- The sweetish taste of cutlets will be provided by potatoes or carrots added to the minced meat.
- Only half a kilogram of minced meat is added to 100 grams of wheat bread.
- An alternative to bread can be the same amount of breadcrumbs or semolina.
- When preparing cutlets from pike, it is appropriate to introduce fresh or dried herbs into the minced meat.
- Pike cutlets must be brewed so that they do not remain dry, losing their juiciness during the frying process.
Given the above recommendations, you can proceed to the direct preparation of a dish with the following ingredients:
- 0.5 kg pike fillet,
- 100 g of lard
- 100 g of white bread,
- 100 ml of milk
- a bunch of cilantro
- breadcrumbs for breadcrumbs cutlets.
First of all, bread is soaked in milk.
Using a large grill, the fillets are passed through a meat grinder.
Finely chop lard, onions and herbs.
Pressed bread and an egg are introduced into a container with minced meat.
Stuffed and seasoned minced meat is kneaded.
Cutlets are breaded in breadcrumbs and fried for three minutes in oil preheated in a pan.
Step-by-step recipe for making pike cutlets
These cutlets are a delicious dish, because pike can not always be bought in the store. According to this recipe, you will get very tasty fish cakes that will not have a specific smell of mud. You are offered a secret Astrakhan recipe for pike cutlets. The most difficult part in the recipe is to carefully cut the carcasses of the fish.
- Pike fillet - 1.5 kg.
- Loaf without crust - 1 pc.
- Onions - 3-4 pcs.
- Egg - 3 pcs.
- Milk - ½ tbsp.
- Salt and spices to taste.
- Peel the onion and chop it into pieces.
- Cut a loaf without a crust into pieces and soak in warm milk.
- Chopped pike meat with onions in a blender bowl or in a meat grinder.
- Put the squeezed loaf in the minced meat, break the eggs into it, add salt and spices to your taste and mix well.
- From the minced meat with your hands, form oblong-shaped patties and roll them in breadcrumbs.
- Fry the patties in well-heated sunflower oil until golden brown on both sides.
- Then these cutlets need to be put out, as pike meat may not be fried.
- To do this, pour in a separate pan a little water mixed with sour cream or tomato paste. Place cutlets in it and simmer until the water evaporates from the pan.
- Serve with any side dish and fresh vegetable salad.
How to make fish patties in the oven
Prepare the minced meat from 1 kg of silver carp, pike or pike perch fillet, add 1 cup of crushed bread crushed in milk, half of finely chopped onion, 50 g of grated cheese, 2 eggs, salt and pepper. We make cutlets, fry them on both sides in vegetable oil in any breading, and separately pass the chopped carrots with half the onion. For the sauce, mix 2 tbsp. l tomato paste, 100 g sour cream, 2 tbsp. l broth or water, a pinch of salt and sugar. We put ready cutlets in layers in the form, pour each layer with sauce and put in the oven for 20 minutes at a temperature of 180 ° C.
Quick and easy recipe for canned fish cutlets
Delicious fish cakes can be quickly prepared from canned fish. This dish is not only tasty, but affordable and simple, since you do not need to process fish or fillets. These cutlets can be stored for a long time. You can change the final taste by adding vegetables, rice, buckwheat and spices to the cutlets. For such cutlets, canned salmon, tuna, saury and sardines are well suited. Try to brew such cutlets in cornmeal - you get an interesting taste.
- Canned fish - 2 cans.
- Eggs - 3-4 pcs.
- Onion - 2 pcs.
- White bread - 4–5 slices.
- Spices to taste.
- Hard boil the eggs, cool them, peel and cut into small cubes.
- Soak slices of white bread in warm milk or water and squeeze them.
- Peel the onion and chop it finely. You can fry the onion in a small amount of oil.
- Open cans of canned food, drain the juice, transfer the fish to a bowl and chop it with a fork, but not with a blender.
- Add the squeezed bread, chopped eggs, onions and spices to the fish.
- Stuff well.
- Use your hands to form small cutlets from the minced meat and roll them in any breading.
- Fry the cutlets until golden brown. For children, you can steam them.
- Serve cutlets with any side dish and fresh vegetable salad.
Eat for health!
Forcemeat cutlets in a slow cooker
For cooking fishcakes with the help of a multicooker, experienced cooks recommend using varieties of white sea fish. Mistresses, in turn, prefer fish, deprived of an abundance of bones. This includes salmon, trout, flounder, mullet, saffron cod, hake, pollock or cod.
A crock-pot as an aid to cooking fish cakes has several advantages in contrast to the notorious cooker: preserving the juiciness of meat cakes, preventing splashing of vegetable oil, and guaranteeing the usefulness of fish meat.
To prepare four servings of fish cakes using a slow cooker will take only half an hour.
This recipe uses the following components:
- 600 g of fish
- 100 g of fat
- medium onion
- 3 tbsp breadcrumbs for breading,
- 1 tbsp decoys
- a bunch of fresh herbs
- spices and salt.
The peeled onion is cut into quarters, lard - in large pieces.
These ingredients, along with fish fillet, are double-scrolled in a meat grinder.
Finely chopped greens, salt and spices are introduced into the created minced meat.
In the next step, add the egg and semolina. Instead of semolina, flour or starch can be used in the same proportion.
With wet hands they form cutlets and bread them in breadcrumbs or, alternatively, bran.
The included multicooker is set in frying mode. Vegetable oil is poured into the bowl and, in the preheated, cutlets are laid out, which are cooked on both sides for 20 minutes.
We eat fish cakes at home
Sometimes novice cooks ask what the right fish cakes are and what kind of fish they are made from. The fact is that the right dishes are those that you cook with love and care for the family, and the recipes can be different. For example, in the composition of fish cutlets from our readers on the site of Julia Vysotskaya you can find walnuts, raisins, prunes, tomatoes, green peas, broccoli, orange juice, chickpeas and juniper berries. If you do not buy ready-made semi-finished products, but cook only at home, your loved ones are lucky, because they will always have tasty, simple and healthy food on the table. Pamper them more often and do not forget yourself!
- salmon - 1 kg
- chicken egg - 2 pcs.,
- onions - 1 medium head,
- fresh dill - a bunch,
- potato starch - 5 tsp,
- black pepper - pinch,
- butter - 1 tbsp.,
- juice and zest from one lemon,
- vegetable oil for frying - 50 ml.
How to cook fish cutlets with additional ingredients
In order to preserve the impeccable shape of the fish cakes, the ingredients fastening the fish mass must be added to their meat.
Often they become a crumb of wheat bread. However, as a tasty alternative and emphasizing the taste of cutlets, other components of minced meat are also used:
- raw potatoes
- instant oat flakes,
- boiled rice.
Experienced housewives advise using one of the listed ingredients for minced fish in the following proportion: 600 g of fish = 1 glass of an additional component.
It must be borne in mind that semolina or cereal does not need, like bread, soaking in milk. They increase in volume and acquire the necessary properties when they are already inside the stuffing.
Raw potatoes or carrots require fine processing. In some cases, carrots are recommended to be pre-cooked. Adding vegetables will give the patties extra juiciness.
You can choose one or more of the above ingredients to your taste.
Delicate and delicious fish cakes with semolina
In this recipe, you are invited to cook fish cutlets with the addition of semolina. The semolina preserves the shape of the cutlets well, so they can be fried in a pan, baked in the oven, steamed or in any sauce. To preserve the juiciness of such cutlets, a little bread is added to the minced fish.
- Fish fillet - 0.5 kg.
- Manka - 2 tbsp. l
- Egg, onion and carrot - 1 pc.
- White bread - 2 slices.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Rinse the finished fish fillet or chopped carcass of the fish and cut into pieces.
- Peel the onion and carrots.
- Soak the slices of bread in water and squeeze.
- Grind all these products in a meat grinder or in a blender bowl. Carrots can be grated.
- Break the egg into the minced meat, salt the minced meat and sprinkle with black and red pepper to your liking.
- Pour semolina into minced meat and mix. If the minced meat turned out friable (it depends on the type of fish) - pour a few tablespoons of water to it.
- Then beat the minced meat several times so that it becomes tight and uniform.
- Place the minced meat for half an hour in the refrigerator, so that the semolina swells and can keep the shape of the cutlets well.
- With wet hands, form round or oblong cutlets from the minced meat and sprinkle them with flour or ground crackers.
- Fry the patties in hot oil until a crispy golden crust is formed on both sides.
- Serve baked vegetables, rice or buckwheat to them.
Eat for health!
- First of all, cook the filet. First remove the skin - cut it on the back and abdomen, pry it off the edge with a knife and pull it, pressing the released part of the carcass with your hand to the table. Further, salmon is plastered along the ridge. The latter is removed along with the costal ossicles.
- Cut the finished fillet with a knife - the forcemeat is rather rough. It’s good if the cubes come out 10 by 10 mm in size or just a little less.
- Peel the onion. Make it smaller and squeeze the juice a little. Melt the butter in a pan and fry the onion in it until light golden. Stir constantly so as not to burn. Leave to cool.
- Finely chop the dill. Rough cuttings are best removed - freeze them and use when cooking the broth. Grate the zest on a fine grater and squeeze the juice from citrus.
- Add onion, herbs, starch, egg, salt and pepper to the chopped fillet. Also put zest and 0.5 tsp. lemon juice. Stir the minced meat well and beat it on the table.
- Place the pan on a large fire. When it is hot, pour in oil and reduce the flame by half.
- Form round patties with a diameter of about 7 cm. Fry them on each side for no longer than 4 minutes. Leave the items to “rest” right in the pan, covering the last with a lid. It is advisable to serve them after 5 minutes.
Important: salmon is a rather oily fish, because it often slips out of hands. This means that when cutting, the knife should be used as carefully as possible.
Ready cutlets are recommended to garnish with mashed potatoes, flavored with butter and sprinkled with fried onion rings. The remaining lemon juice is used as seasoning for them. Serve it in a separate container.
Not everyone can afford such an expensive product as salmon. And therefore it will be useful to find out from which fish it is possible to cook cutlets no less tasty. In fact, any will do. It is only important that she be meaty and not too bony.
You will achieve an excellent result if you use: pollock, carp, pike, silver carp or the same mackerel. In principle, you can even take fresh-frozen herring, but you should first hold it for 10 minutes in kefir - this will eliminate the characteristic “darling”. For the festive table, choose something better: pike perch, carp, trout or salmon.
So that the cutlets prepared for home dinner do not disappoint the household, you should follow some practical tips:
- independently prepare minced meat for cutlets, avoiding the acquisition of semi-finished products with a very suspicious composition,
- give preference when cooking minced meat to pike perch or pike or to more budget options - pollock or hake,
- add bread crumb to the minced meat prepared by the meat grinder in order to compensate for the liquid released during the grinding process,
- in the case of cooking minced meat with a specific cod odor, add the onion or dill to the ingredients,
- the softness and juiciness of the cutlets will provide them with the addition of chopped onions or grated carrots or zucchini to the minced meat,
- to give the cutlets a shape, use the introduction of a raw egg,
- use breadcrumbs or semolina for breadcrumbs of future cutlets.
Step-by-step recipe for cooking river fish cutlets
Small river fish (crucian carp, roach) is very tasty, but contains many small bones. Cutlets are made from boiled fish and fresh. According to the proposed recipe, you can cook cutlets from fresh fish and almost seedless.
- Small river fish - 1 kg.
- Onion - 2 pcs.
- Garlic - 2 cloves.
- Egg - 1 pc.
- Manka - 1 tbsp. l
- White bread - 4 slices.
- Pepper and salt to taste.
- In fish, remove entrails and heads with tails and fins.
- Rinse the fish well with cold water.
- For the preparation of minced fish without stones, twist the fish in a meat grinder. Then unwind the meat grinder (the bones remain on the inner surface of the meat grinder), rinse and collect again.
- Twist the minced meat together with the onion, garlic and fresh pork fat.
- Add the egg, soaked and wrung white bread, semolina to the resulting stuffing.
- Stuffing to your taste sprinkle with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Form small cutlets from minced meat and sprinkle them with breadcrumbs or flour. If the stuffing is not tight, then the patties can be formed using a spoon.
- Fry the patties in hot lean oil until golden on both sides.
- Serve river fish cutlets with boiled rice or corn.
Minced meat cutlets: recipes from Chefmarket
Appetizing and tender cutlets of minced fish can diversify the diet, make it more useful for the whole family. The original design idea will help to prepare a unique dish for both ordinary everyday life and for the festive table. Exquisite second in the spirit of the best culinary traditions will be an excellent addition to vegetables, rice or potatoes.
To date, for the preparation of fish cakes according to the recipe, cod, pollock, blue whiting, hake, pike, and pink salmon fillets are used. Additionally, they often use semolina, soaked loaf and other components that will make the second more complete and nutritious.
We will consider the most affordable and interesting recipes for delicious and dietary fish cakes.With us you can diversify your diet, make it more healthy and dietary. Thanks to our recommendations, you can cook at the level of professional cooks.
Prescription meatballs: how to choose fish
The basis for the cutlets should be prepared from fresh fish. When examined, there should not be an excessively specific smell. It is important to pay attention to the eyes, they should be fresh and clean.
The loin portion of the meat should be elastic and dense, and the scales should fit snugly. There is one interesting nuance - if you put the purchased fish in a container of water, it should go down.
This will be an indicator of freshness and non-corruption.
How to choose the right fish
In most cases, you should not buy fish in small shops where there is low traffic, since the products there are often stale.
In the market and in specialized stores, patency is greater and there is a high probability that you can buy a fresh product there. Some manufacturers use special dyes and liquid smoke to eliminate odors.
When choosing a filet, always pay attention to its color, it should be as natural as possible.
Both river and sea fish are perfect for cutlets. These include pollock, blue whiting, hake, coho salmon, chum salmon, pike perch, perch. The main rule of experienced cooks is that the future base for cutlets should not be excessively greasy or too dry.
- Fish fillet - 360-380 gr.,
- Eggs - 3 pcs.,
- Baton - 60-70 gr.,
- Hard cheese - 35 gr.,
- Garlic - 1 tooth
- Cream cheese - 3 tbsp. l.,
- Flour - 2.5 tbsp. l.,
- Paprika - 0.5 tbsp. l.,
- Nutmeg - 0.5 tbsp. l.,
- Rusks for breading - 3.5 tbsp. l.,
- Oil (vegetable) - 1.5 tbsp. l.,
- Salt, pepper, parsley.
Chilean meatballs: recipe with photo
In order to cook Chilean minced fish cutlets according to the recipe, grind the fish meat using a suitable device.
Then, in the total mass, you need to add slices of loaf, garlic, parsley, grated cheese, cream cheese, eggs and spices. The mass must be thoroughly mixed, preferably more than once.
If the consistency is too liquid, you can put a little loaf there.
The next stage is the formation of balls with hands. After that, roll them in flour, then dip in a beaten egg and finally in breadcrumbs. You need to cook them in a pan using a large amount of oil. Put them on a napkin to remove excess oil. Chilean meatballs need to be served hot with a side dish, or you can separately, all for everyone.
- Pollock (fillet) - 800-900 gr.,
- Small zucchini - 1 pc.,
- Egg - 1 pc.,
- Onion - 1 pc.,
- Garlic - 2 tooth
- Semolina - 30 gr.,
- Breadcrumbs - 35 gr.,
- Sunflower oil - 3 tbsp. l.,
- Pepper, salt.
Fish cakes: a step-by-step recipe for cooking
Japanese fish cutlets
Delicate and fragrant cutlets in the spirit of the traditions of oriental cuisine. It turns out quite airy and mouth-watering. In appearance, they are more like Russian pancakes. Fish cakes cooked according to a very simple recipe are very attractive and dietary. Those who monitor weight and worry about excess calories will like it.
The fillet must be scrolled in the combine, or you can use a regular blender. Mix the resulting mass with egg yolks, flour and wine, as well as pepper and salt. At the same time, using a mixer, beat the whites with sugar. After that, gently mix the resulting mass with a twisted fillet. The result should be a light, airy consistency.
The next step is to heat the pan, add vegetable oil. We spread the patties with a special spoon, it is necessary to fry until a golden hue appears. A Japanese dish is usually served with salad and soy sauce. You can do as you like.
It all depends on your taste preferences. You can take red species, for example, salmon, pink salmon, trout and salmon. It is allowed to mix varieties to make the taste more interesting.
For lovers of white species of fish, pollock, rasp, flounder, cod are well suited. Regardless of the type of product, pay attention to its appearance before buying.
The taste of the finished dish depends on the quality of the raw materials, so the carcass should be:
- appetizing in appearance and have red gills,
- with transparent open eyes
- even color without suspicious stains and damage.
The weight of the carcass should be medium, do not buy too large fish, they can be old and completely tasteless. Experienced housewives advise adding a little fat to red meat to increase juiciness, but if you are on a diet, refuse this supplement.
By the way, learn the secrets of cooking minced meat patties.
When you bought a beautiful, smooth carcass, wait for it to thaw. Never place it under hot water, in the microwave, or on the battery. Fish should thaw from ice naturally.
Any extraneous intervention will lead to a loss of juiciness of the cutlets, so they will appear dry.
Separate the meat from the bones with a sharp knife, and then remove the bones so that you only have the loin.
Begin cutting fish "along the ridge": cut off the fins at the beginning, and then make an incision along and you will get 2 large layers, which will be convenient to work with.
To twist the meat you will need a blender or a meat grinder, a food processor is also suitable. If, after separation, small bones remain in the fillet, there is nothing wrong with that: an electric appliance will easily grind them. Twist the fish to a mushy mass and put in a deep bowl. Some housewives chop the loin with a knife, then chopped cutlets are obtained.
As additional ingredients in the prepared minced fish, safely add:
- finely chopped onions with a clove of garlic. Vegetables give meat an extra flavor
- a good-looking chicken egg
- a piece of white bread soaked in milk to regulate the consistency,
- semolina or flour for sprinkling and getting a golden crust during the frying process.
Culinary experts advise adding a tablespoon to the meat mass for piquancy; it helps to remove bitterness and “dilute” a specific smell.
In recipes for cooking fish cakes, you can find zucchini, mushrooms, hercules, rice, barley, cheese and even apples.
All these products are put "on the fan", so first experiment, make a sample of a couple of such semi-finished products before frying them a whole frying pan.
After adding the ingredients to the minced meat, thoroughly knead the mixture until smooth, add salt and pepper.
Form small lumps, and then flatten them on both sides with your hands, giving an oval or round shape.
Roll the semi-finished products in breading: crackers, flour or semolina will do, hold the cutlets ready for frying in the refrigerator for a bit: this way their shape will harden a little, and it will be easier to fry them.
Fry the patties in a flat large skillet with added oil. If desired, use non-stick utensils; they can be lubricated. Heat the surface well and spread the cutlets a short distance from each other. At close proximity, it will be inconvenient to turn the cue balls over.
Fry the semi-finished products on both sides for about 4-5 minutes. As soon as the crust is ready, it acquires a pleasant golden color. This is a sign that you need to turn to the other side. To prevent the meatballs from spreading, use 2 forks or a flat wooden spatula. Pick it with a crust and quickly turn the patty on its other side.
After browning, add a little water to the pan, cover and stew the patties a little. This method preserves the juice inside the meat, and in the process of stewing it turns out delicious aromatic gravy to the side dish. It will take 10-15 minutes to fully prepare the cutlets, so after stewing for 5-6 minutes, turn off the heat, but do not open the lid until the dish is brewed.
Semi-finished products of minced fish do not have to be fried, steam them or bake in the oven. So it will be healthier and not high in calories. Try steak pike cutlets.
Mashed potatoes, rice, buckwheat, pasta go well with fish. Cut fresh vegetables, make a salad and serve fishcakes with them. The dish will be appreciated by your homemade ones, the meatballs will fly apart in a matter of minutes.
By the way, cutlets survive the freeze very well, so make them bigger initially, for the future. After work, you don’t have to fool your head about what to cook: thaw the convenience foods, fry them and serve them to the table.
Three best fishcake recipes
Fish cakes - a dietary dish and very tasty. They are liked even by those who are wary of the fish itself. And this is convenient, because the fish must be in the diet. It is a source of easily digestible protein, trace elements and vitamins. But the most valuable thing in fish is polyunsaturated fatty acids (omega-3 and omega-6).
Cooking fish cakes is not difficult, although for some reason they are the subject of concern for many housewives. Either they stick to the pan, then fall apart, or turn out to be tasteless. Chefs of Moscow restaurants tell how to cook truly juicy and tasty fish cakes correctly.
Some housewives avoid cooking cutlets from pike, because they consider it a little dry. But in Restaurant Dr. Zhivagoon the contrary, they bet on this fragrant fish. You just need to know a few secrets, and tender, juicy cutlets will be provided to you.
- Pike fillet (without bones and skin) - 400 g
- Pike perch fillet - 400 g
- Fried onions - 250 g
- White bread without crusts - 120 g
- Milk - 120 g
- Cream - 100 g
- Salt, pepper - to taste
- Butter - 50 g
- Bisque Butter - 20 g
- Tartar sauce - 30 g
The main secret is that you must add butter and cream to the minced fish, then pike cutlets will turn out to be unusually tender. And the cooks of this restaurant lightly fry onions before adding it to the minced meat, it gives a slightly different flavor that is good in combination with fish.
Soak the bread in milk. Fillet fish and onions through a meat grinder. Add bread and mince again through the meat grinder. Add cream, salt, pepper, softened butter.
When cooking fish cutlets, many people like to use seasonings - chopped herbs, dried herbs, several types of pepper and so on. It is important not to overdo it with them, otherwise you will kill the delicate taste of the fish itself. Remember, the simpler the recipe, the tastier the cutlets.
At the end, you need to mix the minced meat and put it in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Without this, the stuffing will turn out to be too soft and liquidy; cutlets from it will creep out. After an hour, form round patties and fry in a well-heated pan until cooked.
In the restaurant Dr. Zhivago such cutlets are served with tartar sauce, sprinkled with pomegranate seeds and sprinkled with bisque oil. Tartar sauce can be bought ready-made, and bisque butter is prepared as follows. Fry chopped carrots, onions and celery root. Then add the tomato paste and fry for another 10 minutes.
Separately, fry the shells of shrimp. Then we mix everything, add butter, a little water and simmer everything for about an hour under the lid. After quenching, filter the resulting mass through cheesecloth to separate only its liquid component.
Here it is fragrant bisque oil, which so favorably sets off the taste and smell of fish cakes!